Going to Cuba?

Sagitarrian

May 28, 2002
Are there any ferries going to Cuba from Santo Domingo? If not, are flights from the DR to Cuba cheap? How long is the boat ride/plane trip?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There is a train that leaves the station here every Monday,Wed.,and Friday,from Santo Domingo to Havana Cuba.You can return on Tuesday,Thursday,and Saturday. The cost is $300.00 dollars US.The Train is Cuban,and they need the US$s.The trip lasts 14 hours,and is non-stop.Not much to see along the way except water until you arrive in Cuba.I strongly advise you pay an extra $50.00 and get the upgrade ticket to a room with air-conditioning.The windows are air tight and you won,t be bothered with water leaking into your room all night long!You can also take the train one way,and fly the other way back,but that costs about $300.00 more.The # for train reservations here inSanto Domingo is 710-4370.Criss Colon

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
out of curiosity

How does the train leave the island of hispanola and chu chu it's way over to cuba???

What is the name of this train company?

Thanks.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
When the yola (home made refugee boat) does arrive in DR from cuba, I heard that you can take it back for free.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sagitarrian.........

To improve your chances of getting a serious answer to your questions, you should have posted your questions in the "travel" section. Posts in the "open" section are viewed as fair game by many. In the future, use "travel", "living", or one of the others, depending on the subject of your questions, whenever possible.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Ferrocarriles National de Cuba!

The bridge and tunnel were completed only in March of this year.You really should give it a try.The staff is Cuban,and they are really nice, and professional.The food is fantastic too!Criss:pirate: ;)

hansbert

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 1, 2002
linguisticservices.aio-world.net
Serious answer

There are two weekly flights from Santo Domingo to Havana as well as to Santiago de Cuba. The flight to Havana (on Cubana de Aviaci?n) leaves Thurdays and Sundays, the one to Santiago de Cuba (on Aerocaribbean) Fridays and Mondays. Both last about two hours, the one to Santiago on a older soviet aircraft, the one to Havana either on an IL jetliner or Airbus equipment. Costs: Sto Dgo - Havana roundtrip: appr. 400USD, Sto Dgo - Santiago roundtrip appr. 270 USD. Tickets may be bought to Santiago through Emely Tours, a travel agent in Santo Domingo, to Havana directly through Cubanas offices at Plaza Merengue (Santo Domingo) You can also travel to Havana on Copa (Panama's airline) with a stopover in Panama City, but it lasts longer and is more expensive.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You're right, Jane J.....

In that case, the posts about trains, yolas, bridges and tunnels, are off base, IMHO. Occasional posters, like Sigitarrian and kjdrga, who come to this board for information about the DR should not be jerked around by "regulars" who have other interests in mind. Sure, someone with experience with the DR would recognize there is no way to get to Cuba by train or bridge, but I wouldn't be surprised that among those who check the board from time to time are a number who have yet to make their first trip, or have visited so seldom they have not yet acquired much knowledge about the country and its geography.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What about England to France then?

The same person who told me about the train to Cuba from Santo Domingo said that you can now take a train from England To France.How is that possible,I thought that the English Channel was over 20 miles wide.I never heard of a bridge to France from England.Doesn,t a train need rails or something like that to go from one place to another?Maybe they put the train on a boat for the Water part.Just curious.,and just "Living"Criss Colon

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Personally I am glad to see there is humour in "Living". The fact that someone posts in one section or theother does not immunize them against "Colon"itis.

Lyse

Jan 2, 2002
Re: What about England to France then?

Criss Colon said:
...I thought that the English Channel was over 20 miles wide.I never heard of a bridge to France from England...."Criss Colon

Have you ever heard about the tunnel??

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
Chris im not sure but didnt they build a tunnel from England to France under the English channel??

cled

Jan 3, 2002
Re: What about England to France then?

Criss Colon said:
The same person who told me about the train to Cuba from Santo Domingo said that you can now take a train from England To France.How is that possible,I thought that the English Channel was over 20 miles wide.I never heard of a bridge to France from England.Doesn,t a train need rails or something like that to go from one place to another?Maybe they put the train on a boat for the Water part.Just curious.,and just "Living"Criss Colon

http://ww2.eurotunnel.com/

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Re: You're right, Jane J.....

Ken said:
In that case, the posts about trains, yolas, bridges and tunnels, are off base, IMHO. Occasional posters, like Sigitarrian and kjdrga, who come to this board for information about the DR should not be jerked around by "regulars" who have other interests in mind. Sure, someone with experience with the DR would recognize there is no way to get to Cuba by train or bridge, but I wouldn't be surprised that among those who check the board from time to time are a number who have yet to make their first trip, or have visited so seldom they have not yet acquired much knowledge about the country and its geography.

I appreciate you looking out for us occasional posters, but please do not assume that because I don't always reply to every posting that I am not experienced about the DR. I have lived there and worked there and did know there was no such means of getting to cuba other than flying. You would have to wonder why there were not as many Cubans in the DR, wouldn't you?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A tunnel between England and France,Wow!

That must be how the Euro-Train arrives in England without getting all wet! What will they think of next,a bridge linking Michigan to the Upper-Peninsula,or a tunnel between New York City and New Jersey? I heard that the French are going to build a passenger plane that flies faster than the speed of sound! Criss CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
hahahaha, cris, you have been in jail for too long. Next thing you will ask if we can actually put a man on moon.
That seems more possible than putting michael jackson on top of a woman. Hehehehe
Agent Austin powers, welcome to 2002.

Come on guys, criss is only pulling your legs.