DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mirabal Sisters on Cover of Time Magazine

Last edited by AlterEgo; 03-06-2020 at 02:46 PM.

Admin
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Good read. I'm not going to dig
    and pull them but there are some
    great documentaries on YouTube
    about those brave young women
    that are well watching next time
    you have a few minutes to kill.

3. Likes AlterEgo, Russell, keepcoming liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Julia Alvarez's book. In the time of the butterflies. A must read.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched a movie called the Three Sisters ; it was about their lives and eventual execution.
    Very powerful movie.

6. Likes keepcoming, JDJones liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Their father was my MIL's godfather, and they often went to Jarabacoa where their uncle had a pharmacy and a house at the park. One of his sons, their cousin was also murdered by Trujillo. What one doesn't hear much about is they were, along with their husbands, leftists. That alone would have had them killed by Trujillo.

8. Likes Russell liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a display about them in POP right side of the road as you head towards Playa Dorada. The Three Butterflies.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Trujillo's son.... who would be 65-69 today....
    was sent to summer in Canada's Algonquin Park..... imagine !!!

I was there - Camp Ahmek on Canoe Lake

was the late 50's

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    Their father was my MIL's godfather, and they often went to Jarabacoa where their uncle had a pharmacy and a house at the park. One of his sons, their cousin was also murdered by Trujillo. What one doesn't hear much about is they were, along with their husbands, leftists. That alone would have had them killed by Trujillo.
    Communists, but many adversaries to the Trujillo regime were communists. It's not an isolated incidence regarding that. Trujillo had a right-wing dictatorship, the complete opposite of what Fidel Castro had in Cuba (before Fidel's left-wing dictatorship was the right-wing dictatorship of Fulgencio Batista, in fact the former replace the latter). Its even said that Fidel Castro himself had a very high opinion of the DR and Dominicans, referring to the Dominican people as the David of the Caribbean (from the story of David and Goliath and how Dominicans defeated all threats to their existence despite the odds were incredibly against them). It's also said that Fidel Castro once said that his revolution will not be complete without taking Trujillo out of power and expanding his communism to the island of Hispaniola. Some invasions from Cuba and Fidel Castro's support took place at several points in the DR, but Trujillo met them by hunting the invaders and killing them all (burning them while alive, etc).

Polls Forum Moderator

12. Likes AlterEgo, bob saunders, John Boyter liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

And to think I was going to get a tattoo depicting the sisters on my recent trip to the DR in December. Will get it done when I return in 2 months.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    Communists, but many adversaries to the Trujillo regime were communists. It's not an isolated incidence regarding that. Trujillo had a right-wing dictatorship, the complete opposite of what Fidel Castro had in Cuba (before Fidel's left-wing dictatorship was the right-wing dictatorship of Fulgencio Batista, in fact the former replace the latter). Its even said that Fidel Castro himself had a very high opinion of the DR and Dominicans, referring to the Dominican people as the David of the Caribbean (from the story of David and Goliath and how Dominicans defeated all threats to their existence despite the odds were incredibly against them). It's also said that Fidel Castro once said that his revolution will not be complete without taking Trujillo out of power and expanding his communism to the island of Hispaniola. Some invasions from Cuba and Fidel Castro's support took place at several points in the DR, but Trujillo met them by hunting the invaders and killing them all (burning them while alive, etc).
    yes and Lyndon Johnson remembered that in 1965...…..