what phone card in DR should i buy?

ms.mathilda

May 5, 2002
i will be vacationing in costambar in a couple of weeks. should i wait to buy a phone card when i get there? if so, where is the best place in costambar/pop area to get one and what brand is the best.
can i purchase one online here before i go? that's what i have been using to call there now but i have heard that you cannot dial 800 numbers in the area I'll be in (for the access number). Is this true?
how much will a card cost me? i will be using it to call the US.
Mattie

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Communicard or Amigos

You will have no trouble finding calling cards in the DR and they are very convient. The actual cost varies but I think Codetel (Communicard) cards are about 7-8 pesos a minute to the US. There are also calling centers throughout the country that have fairly reasonable rates. You can buy the cards in different denomiation, RD50, RD 100, RD200... Tricom (Amigos) also sells calling cards but they round the minutes up and codetel doesn't. Each company has a local access number.

I would try to buy the cards at the airport or in any supermarket, colmado. I am not sure if all hotels sell them since they would rather make money off of you using their phone service instead. And there you will get ripped off!