Playa Chiquita-Sosua ???

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Did you see the "Eye Spy" program on TLC

last night?
They showed home video of an English tourist (no year given) who stayed there. Pretty brutal.......
The tourist sued the tour company when they got home to England and won an out of court settlement of approx. $10,000. US$.
It was a very bad example of what a resort should NOT be and gave a very bad impression of the DR.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I figured it was a while back however.......

it does point out the need for some positive marketing of the DR.
Two weeks ago at a party we were talking with some people who had been to the DR once and were not impressed at all. When we queried further we found out it was 11 years ago that they had been to the POP area.
We told them they should plan another trip down to see the many changes over the last 11 yrs. We guaranteed them they would be pleasantly surprised.....hopefully they will come next winter and take back some positive comments with them.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Can of worms

MommC, you just opened it. I am fed up with the tourists (I can think of another name but it will be deleted) that travel with one thought in mind. Whether or not they have had a good time, COMPLAIN and you will get your money back. I have heard of people that spent most of their vacation video-taping stuff that they intend to use when they get back home. Programs like "Watch Dog" in England should be banned from "Existing" CRAP at the highest level. The bottom line, the Rep's tell the tourists to stay in there hotels and not go out because ................ Can't blame them, they are covering their asses. In the mean time, visitors loose the opportunity to visit and get to know a Super Country and the people that are lucky enough to be living in it. So much from me, let's get opinions.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Couldn't have said it better myself, Eddy. I have friends that have gone to Costa Dorada Iberostar the last two years in a row. I tried to convince them to stay in Sosua with you, but they like the AI idea. Good enough, but both times they stayed there, they were told not to go out of the resort unless it was with one of their daytrips, and not to go to Sosua under any circumstances. It was too "dangerous" there. You actually met Rick, he came to your bar with Hillbilly. Well, that just pi**es me off to no end.

And I also agree about the tourists that go and don't even try to have a good time...they complain just for the sake of getting their money back. I feel sorry for people who work in these hotels and have to deal with the tourists that are idiots.

Look how well Jamaica and Cuba are marketed...why can't the DR (That one's for you, AtlantaBob) do the same?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Eddy.....I love cans of worms!!!!

(Very high protein content :alien: !)I do have a tendency (as Pib so kindly pointed out ) of phrasing things in an antagonistic manner which I didn't want to do on this thread.

but I must admit having watched the video these folks DID have a valid claim at the time. Conditions were disgusting and not at all what the tourist brochure they were shown by the travel agent indicated......hopefully Playa Chiquita now has thier act together.
The point is anyone watching this program (even if it is three years old - no date was given) now has a very poor opinion of the DR and would not be likely to visit the country, thinking that these are the conditions in the whole country (I know....I know -people DON'T stop to think!!)

How can one expect to counter this type of expose (which was true to a certain degree) and increase tourism to the island if their is no comprehensive plan in place by either the gov't or the resort association (there is a resort ass'n isn't there???).?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
MommC, 100% right in the Playa Chiquita case. It's closed down. I'm just concerned about what media coverage does to tourism. The people who got "Shafted" at PLaya Chiquita or anywhere else, should be compensated. Too much media coverage encourages a "Certain class" of travellers to take advantage of certain situations. I've heard of one couple who must have spent their two weeks vacation videotaping different areas of the hotel, the beach etc. They went back with their "evidence" and made a claim based on what was on the tape. Of course they taped the beach after a storm when it was dirty, stains on the matress (Yes they stripped the matress and pillow cases) etc. etc. I don't know the outcome of that whole scam. When asked to defend themselves on a TV program such as Watchdog, JE etc. the travel companies should just turn down the opportunity (sic) and tell the them, if our customers feel they have been ripped-off, they can sue us. By going onto these shows, they are making it more interesting and thus increasing the ratings. They never get an honest chance to present their case. Anyway, so much for that. It's been bothering me for years and I just wanted other opinions.