two kinds of poverty ?

Andr?

Feb 15, 2002
www.reisenundhelfen.de
Are there two different kinds of poverty in the Dominican Republic!

- The poverty of many dominican peoples
- The poverty of many haitian people

I think it?s no different between black, white or yellow people!
I think it?s no differnt between katholic, hindu or moslem !
If some people need support and help - do it !

Let me hear your answers !

And if sombody like to give support and help visit my homepage
www.reisenundhelfen.de

Best Regards from Germany
-Andr? Kirch

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Andre,

You forgot to mention one important fact. The vast majority of Haitians living in Poverty in the DR are there Illegally. It is hard for a Dominican to have sympathy for somebody who has committed a crime and is taking jobs and aid from the Dominican People.

Tony C.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Tony C...

And again, who promises these Haitians a better life? Good pay? Who smuggles the large majority of the Haitians over illegally? Who gives them false hopes and dreams? Dominicans. Those Dominicans in authority and control.
Human Rights laws must be enforced for this poverty to disappear. Therefore, at this time, Haitians and Dominicans alike need support. Many of the Haitians children are in fact, Dominican as they were born in the Dominican Republic.

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
If you call cutting sugar cane a job, I call it basically slave labour, they get it because Domincans won't do that job. It is too low for them.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Meredith is right. The sugar cane wouldn't get cut unless the Haitians were brought in to do it. Same as in the US where Mexicans have to be brought in to harvest the crops because there aren't enough residents willing to do the job.

In neither case are these high paying jobs.

There are Haitians working on other islands of the Caribbean. They seem to have a better reputation as workers than do the Dominicans working on those islands.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
The arguement is not "how" they got to the DR but that they are in the DR.
Don't you think it would be better for all that any aid or assistance be given to Haiti? If economic conditions are improved in Haiti there would be less Haitians willing to emigrate illegally. We can all thank Clinton for that great job he did in "saving" Haiti! The country is worse of than it was during anytime during the Duvallier regimes.
I do not hate the Haitian people, unlike others on DR1, I have found them to be Both a Hardworking and very honest people. But The DR is not equiped to handle them.
BTW I think the people who bring them in to the DR to be used and abused are criminls as well.

Tony C.

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
Tony C said:
The arguement is not "how" they got to the DR but that they are in the DR.
Don't you think it would be better for all that any aid or assistance be given to Haiti? If economic conditions are improved in Haiti there would be less Haitians willing to emigrate illegally. Tony C.

Of course, it is very important for the aid and assistance to be given to Haiti, and it is, however with the current government in place, much of the support is not being given to who needs it there and people are reluctant to deal with Artistide. And yes, if conditions were improved then less Haitians would emigrate illegally, however the situation has not improved.

Yes, the argument is that Haitians are in the DR, but you can't just think from one angle. They are in the DR and living under slave like conditions, that is almost impossible to escape. They are not allowed to plant food or receive education, because if they were fed, they would not want to work and if they were educated they would realize how bad there situation is and not want to work anymore. They are many hours away from any larger city, and have no mode of transportation and in many cases can not leave.

I respect your opinion, especially since you respect Haitians, however, aid must be provided to Haiti and to both the struggling Haitians and Dominicans in the DR, that are working in bateys, or sweatshops (free trade zones). You can not just say, "you are not supposed to be living here, so you get no help and should be left to wither away".

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hi Meredith,
I just want to say that I think you are one smart, compassionate lady. Very impressive post.
Cheers,
Nelly

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
For what it is worth I agree with Meredith for the most part. I think that Haitians should be allowed to work and not get hassled as well. In Sosua I was first made aware of the problem when I asked about the Gardener and I was told that he was in jail because they rounded up the Haitians like they do every month. This Haitian was a legal one but gets arrested anyway.

Not a nice way to live. Not a nice way to make people live. When I was first confronted with the prejudice of the DR I had to think to myself that they are treated just like any other minority in the US and wondered why that they would even consider treating others badly.

I guess if I agree with Meredith I will have to agree with Nelly also:)

Regards

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
Nelly, Jazzcom...

Thanks for the very nice words! It is nice to hear.
Cheers!
Meredith:cool:

Andr?

Feb 15, 2002
www.reisenundhelfen.de
i understand the problem something better !

Hello,
my question should be to provoke for a real discuss!
So i understand your messages!
It?s difficult to understand the relationship between the Dominican and Haitian people! But your answers positiv or negativ will help to understand this problem something better!

But tell me, what?s the first step for a solution!

Best Regards from Germany
-Andr? Kirch

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Maybe I'm wrong AGAIN

But I honestly don't see a solution to the so called "Haitian problem" from within. From within, I refer to the DR and Haiti, there simply are not the resources or initiatives to turn around too many years of destruction.

From my limited view and knowledge, efforts would be best expended on making the World more aware and focusing on massive outside help

Of course any outside help would have to be tempered with improved Dominican/Haitian relations, or the cure would only be a stop gap.

Janice

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Haitians in DR

This island reminds me of a glass half full and half empty. Dominicans should be thankful that they live on the side that is half full. But it is interesting to note what a happy and joyful people Haitians appear to be. They seem to see the best in everything...something many of us could take a lesson from.