Time difference....

amy

Apr 15, 2002
Is there a time difference between New Jersey and Santo Domingo? If so what is it? Thx...

time

1 hour,
hanktango.gif
as Jim would say "time is the essence."

monkeysmile.gif

Last edited:

amy

Apr 15, 2002
hlywud sorry not jim...

sorry your little pic caught me off guard...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hard to believe that New Jersey is an hour behind Santo Domingo; New York is presently same time.

I say presently because in the fall, when the US "falls back" for the winter, then there is an hour difference, with New York being one hour behind SD. Plays havoc with the tv schedule here.

Again, with New York and SD currently on same time, very hard for me to believe that New Jersey isn't, also. I've always thought they were on the same time. But if someone from New Jersey tells me otherwise............

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Atlantic Standard Time in DR Year Round

DR is on AST, which is EST + 1hour all year - e.g. no Dyalight Savings Time at all.

So when we in the EST "spring forward" , that is go +1 hour for Daylight Time (making it EDT) we are the same as the DR.

In the fall and winter when we "fall back" they are an hour ahead of us.

So during our Standard Time you fly there with the same departure times and arrive and hour later but leave an hour later coming home and arrive at the same time.

amy

Apr 15, 2002
Ken you are not mistaken...

Here in New Jersey we are at the same time as New York...

pascal

Jan 14, 2002
Since the DR choose not to change time anylonger we are currently 6 hours late in western europe besides the UK and Portugal which have I believe 7 hours difference.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
time, time , time,

We are now at the same time as new Joisey!

Eastern Daylight is the Same as Atlantic Standard, which this stupid government insists on kee[ping!!!

We should be, at 70 degrees W, Eastern Standard and follow whatever New York does. ..

HB bitchin'about time.....
farmer.gif

amy

Apr 15, 2002
sorry but now Im confused....

Is santo domingo on the same time as new jersey right now?? Hillbilly you should know this as you are from bergen county...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, Santo Domingo and New Jersey are on same time now. They will be on same time until late October when the US changes clocks and "falls back". The DR doesn't change clocks so is one hour ahead until spring, when the US "springs ahead".

So, the short answer to your question is yes, we are on the same time as you are right now.

ms.mathilda

May 5, 2002
confusion

i was in pop in march and knew that there was a 1 hour time difference. while talking to friends in pop they say there is a half hour time difference which i never understood. these are dominican friends and they may be on "dominican time". but i have asked 3 different dominican friends on three different occasions what time it is there now and it is always a half hour difference. i think maybe they are not as proficient with time as we are since a half hour to them is not as important as a half hour to us. go figure!
mattie

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
mattie,

There is no half hour difference. But for many the exact time isn't important. I have often been asked by people on the street for the time; many people don't have watches.

When you live here, you tend to stick to old habits and be punctual, but you develop tolerance for those who don't, providing they are Dominicans.

Ken

ms.mathilda

May 5, 2002
thanks ken

exactly what i thought! i'll have to adjust their clocks according to my watch when i get there!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Amy,yes there is a "Time" difference

New Jersey and most of the United States and Canada are in the year 2002,but here in the Dominican Republic,we are in the "Dark Ages"! Criss CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

amy

Apr 15, 2002
omg criss...

im leaving for santo domingo june 25 and now your scaring me haha just kidding... i got the point dr and new jersey are on same time right now.....

ms mathilda
Quote "i was in pop in march and knew that there was a 1 hour time difference. while talking to friends in pop they say there is a half hour time difference which i never understood. these are dominican friends and they may be on "dominican time".

To confuse the issue they must be from Newfoundland which is 1/2 hour different than any EDST in Canada and the US.:speechles

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'm in Atlantic Canada and on the same time as the DR for half the year when the time changes from November to April.