Sosua or Samana

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Which is the quieter, less resorty area to visit? Anything that anyone could tell me about either of the two areas would be great! And also, could anyone give any good recommendations of places to stay. We are looking for a small resort/hotel at least within walking distance of the beach.
Thanks,
Mainer

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For quiet: Saman?/ Las Galeras

Send AndyB a note at www.samana.net He will fix you up just fine.

andy has a few little cabins very near the beach in Las Galeras....plus a great wife, who just happens to cook!!

If you want luxury, to to the Gran Bah?a....beautiful location and you can't beat the views..

HB
farmer.gif

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly is right; if you want quiet and close to the beach, Las Galeras in Samana is the place to go. I lived in Samana from 1986 to 2000 and now in Sosua so can make a comparison between the two.

For a variety of reasons, the pace of tourism development in Samana has been much slower than in many other parts of the island.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
mainer said:
Which is the quieter, less resorty area to visit? Anything that anyone could tell me about either of the two areas would be great! And also, could anyone give any good recommendations of places to stay. We are looking for a small resort/hotel at least within walking distance of the beach.
Thanks,
Mainer
If you go to Sosua you may like Hotel Tropix. It's very quiet, close to the beach, restaurants and shopping. Each room has a small fridge. a/c or overhead fan; there is an honor bar, lovely pool and gardens, friendly staff etc. etc. Most of the clientelle are repeats

http://www.tropixhotel.coms.

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Just wondering if you all in the Samana area prefer keeping the pace of growth a little slower. To me it would seem to be nice to have one area kept kind of isolated for awhile anyway. I just hope it doesn't get like Punta Cana, full of AI's. There's no chance of that, is there?

What is happening over in Miches? Any hotels or tourist development over there?

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Jane J. said:
What's an honour bar?

You mark down what you take from the cooler. There's no bartender so you are on your honor. Sylvie, the owner totes up your tab at the end of your visit.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
An honour bar is where you buy something and then leave the cash. There is no attendant. They trust you to pay based on your "honour".

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
That's what I sort of thought, but I don't know too many people who would be nice enough to operate one!

I've never stayed at Tropix but I've had dinner there and I love it.