nice spots in the north

paul_holmes

May 13, 2002
Hello

Well i finally booked for the north and my question now would be......

Are there any nice and romantic spots i could visit.....maybe a secluded beach or nice tropical area with a waterfall??..

I know it may be a bit of a wierd question but It is for my honeymoon and i want to make it an event my beautiful wife will always remember :)

Any help would as always ve greatly appreciated....and thanks for all the answers to other questions

Paul

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Where is your hotel, Paul? It would be helpful to know what area you will be based in.

paul_holmes

May 13, 2002
Iberostar

Sorry forgot about the one!!

I will be at the Iberostar Costa Dorada but i don't want to be restricted to the site.......

Thanks

Paul

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Paul, please listen to Andy

If possible, take a non-All Inclusive package when you resister(err, I meant 'register' sorry.)

YOu can walk the streets of POP, hand in hand, the park, the museum, the little ice creame parlour in an old Victorian house right there by the park.

No doubt about it, Saman? will offer you some super sexy, relaxing in lushness...

all happness and good luck..

HB
needs_a_shave.gif

Last edited:

sunman6

Jun 9, 2002
to fly, take a bus or rent a car?

We want to visit Las Terrenas for a week in October and wonder if it's better to take the plane or bus or rent a jeep for a week? It's a long 4 hour ride from Puerto Plata Airport. Any ideas?:cool:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you can afford to fly, I'd recommend that option. Getting a bus from PP airport, unless it is provided by your hotel in Las Terrenas, would be complicated, since the only Caribe Tour bus from Puerto Plata to Samana leaves at 7am. You would get off in Sanchez and take other transportation from there. There are vehicles from La Terrenas that meet the buses for this reason.

Once you get to Las Terrenas you can rent a car if there is a particular activity you feel requires one for a day.

Fastest and easiest, if these are important, is to fly to the Las Terrenas airport from the PP airport. It will be in a small plane, since the airport in Las Terrenas/El Portillo is not designed for comercial aircraft.

sunman6

Jun 9, 2002
Thanks..... I thought so. This will add $280US for the 2 of us round trip but compared to driving 4 hours after flying 4 hours after waiting at the airport 2 hours after driving from home 1 hour - flying makes sense. It seems like our stay (El Colibri) and meals will be very reasonable so if we can get a cheapy-cheapy flight from Boston to PP we're still in our budget.
Thanks again.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
sunman6,

How ever you chose to get from the PP airport to Las Terrenas, there would be a cost. If you took Caribe Tours to Sanchez and another vehicle from there, you would have to stay overnight in PP or Sosua in order to get the bus the next morning. You could take a cab; it would cost you about US$100 each way. Renting a car would also be an expense.

The total cost of the plane may be a little more, but--if you can afford it--you will have a lot more pep when you arrive in Las Terrenas than if you had chosen one of the other options.

Have a good trip. If you have other questions before you go, be sure to post them.

Ken

sunman6

Jun 9, 2002
Thanks for the advice.

We're now on the hunt for cheap airfare from Boston to POP. I believe unsold seats on the Charter planes is the way to go but we won't know 'til last minute if they're available. Has anyone ever tried this?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
sunman6, I suggest you start a new thread with your question about charter flights. Since this thread has been running for awhile, and since it has had a different focus, there are people likely to have info that won't see this question. If you start a new thread with the question, you'll reach a larger group.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
paul_holmes said:
Hello

Well i finally booked for the north and my question now would be......

Are there any nice and romantic spots i could visit.....maybe a secluded beach or nice tropical area with a waterfall??..

I know it may be a bit of a wierd question but It is for my honeymoon and i want to make it an event my beautiful wife will always remember :)

Any help would as always ve greatly appreciated....and thanks for all the answers to other questions

Here is a suggestion for a day tripyou may enjoy.I f you leave Sosua on a Sunday and drive through Cabarete, ( about 5 miles) and keep on going about another 5 miles or so until Sabaneta , there will be some moto conchos and gua-guas at the intersection, stay right and start up the hill a little farther up the road you will cross a bridge. shortly after that there is a laneway to the right. Follow the lane and about 100-150 metres later you come to an open area and a swimming area with a bit of a hill where children dive off into the water, people wash their cars. There are bar b-ques and lots to eat. Its a very Dominican type day. When you leave, go back to the paved road, turn right and keep going up hill. It's very scenic, twisty and curvy and interesting. Go about another hour or so and you will pass a police station with speed bumps our front. A little further on the left is a restaurant with a fabulous view of the Cibao Valley.When you look down, on the left you will see Moca, on the right is Santiago. I don't recall the name of these places but ask in Sosua, locals often go to these places for a Sunday outing.

Paul