Do you believe in miracles??? World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
USA wins over Portugal in the World Cup!! Portugal is one of the favourites from what I understand.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
That would truly be a miracle! At least then you will have a team that is worthy of the tile "World Champions" unlike your baseball and football teams.

USA have a young side and appear to be hungry. It's good to see the lower ranked teams pulling off upsets, makes for an even more interesting world cup.

All I hope is that England can play to their potential.
Friday is either going to be a good day are half of you are going to get banned :)

rbazan

Apr 5, 2002
One of the best games will be Argentina vs England. I might have to take the morning off.

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Better Teams?????????????????????

That would truly be a miracle! At least then you will have a team that is worthy of the tile "World Champions" unlike your baseball and football teams From Rob

Rob

Perhaps you know of some team from another country (European football, right) that could beat the Patriots (Better yet, the Rams) or the NY Yankees? Bring em on

Some will say an "all Dominican or All Cuban team could beat the Yanks, if that were so they would be playing for them
Janice

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
American Champions, not World Champions, now this I would agree with.

Every one said that Senegal had no chance against France, but they won.
The "World Cup" gave them the opportunity to play against the "World Champions" and win.
USA beat the No:2 ranked team in Europe, another shock!

The "World Cup" gives teams from around the world the opportunity to play against each other, regardless of their rank or status. It's truly a world competition and the winners are worthy of being called "World Champions".

When US football or baseball gets to this level I'll rest my case.

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Yes, but baseball and football have participants from around the globe just as Hockey does. But then again, I agree the name "World Series" is probably not appropriate.

I think Japan will be the next country with a major league baseball team, then Mexico, then the DR....

but I digress...sorry

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Not that the Irish

didnt deserve it. They looked very good in the 2nd half!! But... why are goals so often scored in the
last minute??

kind_of _down x_man.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
The difference is, I believe, that the baseball "World Series" has "participants from around the globe" but playing with North American/Canadian teams. That doesn't mean that these teams wouldn't do a good job without these foreign players, but it surely helps. Moreover, the foreign players playing baseball in the "big leagues" don't really represent the "world" they come from just a few countries.

The beauty of the Wold Cup is that a tiny nation like Costa Rica can beat China, the most populated nation of the wold. Go Ticos!

Last edited:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
U.S.A....U.S.A...U.S.A

Miracles DO happen!!!...

patriot.gif

You just gotta believe...

Like I said in a previous post, I'm going for Uruguay...(tomorrow against France)

Then it's USA...(they're doing better than Uruguay!)

Always cheering for the underdog!!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
English and most other countries football league teams have players from around the world competing, but when they win the league, they don't say they one the "World Series".

US football and baseball are national championships, not international, this is the difference. They may have international players, but they do not compete on a truly international level.

Why can't a baseball team in Tokyo claim to be winners of the "World Series"?
I don't care what spin you put on it, they are no more than national champions and at best N.American champions.

As I have previously said, if USA win the "World Cup" they deserve the title "World Champions" as they have competed on a truly international level.

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
When US football or baseball gets to this level I'll rest my case.
From robert

I hope the NFL never drops to the "level" of the World Cup. When the World Cup Championship has the audience numbers of the Super Bowl, then you may PLEAD your case :)

Janice (I know better than to push a rabid SOCCER fan too far :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Easy Robert!

Stop "Picking" on the USA! Always remember,you would be speaking German today if not for the "Bloody Yanks"! That is if you would be speaking at all!The English may not have the "Soccer Team" that can "Kick Everyones Ass",but your fans sure can!!! Happy 50 years on the throne to "Good Queen Elizabeth"!! Criss CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCand who has a better "American Football" team than the USA?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Remember 1950!!

This time the Yanks won't go out and get so sloshed that they can't play the next one!
A great game that nearly got away form them/
usa.gif

Both the Germans and the Irish could have scored a few more goles.

By the way: World Cup has a huge ammout of viewers all over the globe and the finals will have at least 2.5 billion viewers and maybe more!!

Just because the USA has not played an important role in this sport until now-maybe-does not mean it is not the world's sport, by far!

Among young women it is the fastest growing sport in the US and in many areas it is now dominating American football. It is far safer, far cheaper and far more particpative( not the right word).

Why do we use the term "Soccer MOM??"

I am so happy I could burst!
unclesmiley.gif

HB

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
The World Series is the Worlds Championship because no other league can compare. Our Olympic team of Minor Leaguers and College kids beat the rest of the worlds best.

Football. Common! I mean who else plays football but The NFL? the Candian League is made up of players that can't make it in the NFL and the Euro League is the Development League for the NFL.

Soccer is only popular among young buys because moms that are too scared to let their boys play real football force them. Once they hit about 12 or 13 the interest in socccer amoung boy in the US drops like a rock. I guess that is the age when boys finally stop listening to mom.

Women's soccer? Who cares? Does anybody? I mean it is like the WNBA! The media forces down the peoples throat but nobody really has any interest.

The World Cup is a pretty cool event! I'll watch some games.

Forza Italia!
Viva Espana
Would you believe I am even rooting for England over Argentina. I'll root for anybody over Argentina!

Tony C.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Janice said:
I hope the NFL never drops to the "level" of the World Cup. When the World Cup Championship has the audience numbers of the Super Bowl, then you may PLEAD your case :)

Ha, Ha, Ha....

Super Bowl is about 800 million:
http://www.sptimes.com/News/012801/SuperBowl2001/TVradio_facts_and_fig.shtml

Try an expected 40 billion people tuning in to the World Cup. Yes, you heard it right, 40 billion! That's according to CNN, the worlds most unbiased and broad ranging news service :)

Take a look at this from FIFA:

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/releases/IP-401-E-TV.pdf

who has a better "American Football" team than the USA?
That's the point, we don't know? They only play with themselves, no other nations!

I'm not picking on Americans, but sometimes, some of you need to get a global perspective.

Bottom line, the "World Cup" is about the world, not just one country pouting it's chest telling everyone how good they are at a sport that the majority of the world couldn't careless about.

I feel much better now...

If anyone aggravates me if England loose on Friday, your banned!!
If they win, I'll be more than happy to buy everyone a beer :)

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Rob,
you make a good point, but the CNN figures must take in to account the number of viewers throughout the series as the population of the world is only 6.2 billion plus change. Their figure is misleading out of context. However there is no doubt that football is much more popular than Americanized Rugby. (Yes I am from the US and love the NFL but football in the original sense it ain't.)

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Not enough instant gratification in Soccer

That's my opinion as to why it doesn't really touch the American public the way Baseball, Football or Basketball does.

What amounts to a home run trot/game winning field goal/interception for a touchdown or a dunk is a goal - and that happens (on average) less than 2 times in 90 minutes ? a contest.

There's no pitching changes or time outs to slam commercials down your throat either, so it's certainly not as heavily promoted.

Kids in the states want to be the next Deion Sanders and dance in the end zone or dunk like Kobe and drink Sprite.

Robert, as far as the naming goes, MLB has been using the term "World Series" since 1903 - it was originated more to solve a dispute between the old National League and the American league. I like to think that the best players in the World play in it - the vast majority of which were born on this little island - so I find the name fitting.

As for my New England Patriots (season ticket holder since 1994) they are the World Champions and I'll hear nothing else on the subject thanks.

Go Red White and Blue (USA and Patriots!);)

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I think that

Americans don't like anything where they can't get their hands on??

X

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Can a girl give her humble opinion?

IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY!!!
doh2.gif

The reason soccer is not a major sport in the U.S. doesn't have anything to do with people not liking the sport...

There are millions of people from all over the World living in the U.S. that LOVE soccer...not football or baseball...

But there's so much money involved in these major sports in the U.S. and team owners have so much to loose, that of course...it's taking some time for Soccer to become King of All Sports here as it is already in the rest of the World...
paranoid1.gif

BUT THE TIME WILL COME!!!
kissmile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.