What Do You Guys Think...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
When I return to the DR I want to bring my VCR with me. I was thinking to just pack it in my case along with my clothes. Now, will DR customs make a big deal of it? Will they just confiscate it or confiscate me or fine me or what? I am flying into POP. Do you think I can get in with it successfully? What do you guys think.

Ole Snuffy.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If you are gringo looking then you just might pass right through. If you get caught, just smile and be nice to them. Pass a 10-dollar bill and you are home free. If that doesn't work then apologize and act ashamed but then double your offer. But give it to the checking agent discretely. If that doesn't work then just pay the duty and these guys won't get a penny. Now you really think they will refuse your offer?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Let me help you feel "Better"!

The only time I ever got caught by Dominican Customs was when I had a VCR in my suitcase.It was like they could smell it! I paid RD$1,400 duty to bring it in.If they find it so what? Just do like "AZB"says,play dumb,(he desn,t have to "PLAY",he,s a natural!)Criss Colon

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
VCRs...

They are not that expensive here. Of course if you can get them a little "hot" on the streets of Newark, Patterson or New York, say, for about 25 dollars, bring a couple and just give the guy one of them.....

Weigh the pros and cons....No hassle? buy one here.
Maybe a little hassle>? Bring one and slip the guy a few bucks..Joke about it.

HB, brought in three that way....
needs_a_shave.gif

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I brought a 14" TV in my luggage once, they didn't even look at me. I think they just thought, "Big suitcase: dumb, overpacked tourist". That was coming through POP and I've never seen them check personal suitcases...maybe it happens, but I've never seen it.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
thanks...but hillbilly...did they check your luggage....

I have never been through POP. I have been through Santo Domingo and they just waved us through. I will be flying in on a Monday...would that be a busy day for POP or a slow day? I would think slow since tourist don't normally arrive on Mondays...but yet it may be busy for start of a new business week. What do you guys think? Ok Ok...I am probably overly paranoid and I am white gringo.