Adoption or other option?

Sanni1975

Jun 6, 2002
:ermm: Hello everybody,
hope someone might be able to help me....

I used to live in the DR and am married to a Dominican. We reside in Germany now.

My husband's niece will turn 7 this year and finally my husband's dad is willing to let her go... Well, as an explaination: The girl has always lived with my hubby's parents which are her grandparents, as her biological mother (my hubby's sister) never ever took care of her. Sometimes she shows up, sometimes she doesn't; sometimes she gives money, sometimes not.

When we were living back in Pto. Pta. we were the only ones actually playing with the girl and caring. My hubby's parents are okay with her but cannot provide much more than a bed and food. As they get older there's even less chances for the girl. They live somewhat in the countryside and can't afford private school but sometimes are lacking of money for transportation to the public school, too.

We believ that it certainly is not easy to bring a child to another country and to have it adopt to a new mentality and culture but it sure will enable her to at least have a caring family and to get the education needed for her future life.

I don't want her to end up as .... well, there are not many options if you are female without education in teh DR!

Who knows what we can do? Just bring her along? Make her the daughter of my husband saying he forgot about her the last 7 years? Adopt her? How would the last thing work and how long does it take if it is somewhat within the family????????

Thanks for all advice you may have to give, it really is appreciated as time is kind of running away!

Regards,
Sandra

NoMoreSnow

Apr 10, 2002
The option of International Adoption

I can only speak with any authority on your option of international adoption.

You will be dealing with a least two different types of law and two different jurisdictions and you need to approach it in a very systematic way.

You basically will be trying to adopt the child in the DR and to migrate the child to Germany or to migrate the child to Germany and complete the adoption in a German court.

Therefore you first need to start with the laws of Germany and you need to determine, whether you have the status to migrate a child adopted from aboard to Germany. Some jurisdictions (eg USA allow only CITIZENS to mirgate internationally adopted children while Canada allows both Citizens and landed immigrants to migrate children).

The other thing that you need to determine is what it is that will cause Germany to not migrate the child even thought the child has been legally adopted and you have the legal status to migrate the child. To better understand what I mean by this I will give you the following example. Canada is implementing a new immigration act on June 28, 2002. Canada is proposing to not issue immigration visas to children who have been legally adopted oversees if there is any evidence that adoption was a result of "child trafficking or undue gain".

Also falsifying documentation/informtion such as "husband's lost child etc" will void your adoption and cause the child's status in Germany to be questionable, when and if, such a deception is discovered.

There have been many parents who adopt children oversees only to find out that they cannot take their child back to the home country with them. There is a situation currently in Cambodia where US parents have been stranded in Cambodia for weeks with their children that were legally adopted in Cambodia because the US will not issue the children entry visas to the States.

A legal expert in German law is the best person to give you advise on the above points.

Next you will need to determine whether the child is adoptable under DR laws and what are the DR restrictions on migrating a DR born child. As an example Nicaragua, allows foreigners to adopt their children, but the children cannot leave Nicaragua, before they're 18 years old.

The DR1 legal expert is the best person to give you assistance in this area.

Good LucK, The process is complex, but definately "doable".

Edited to correct spelling errors.

Last edited:

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
I have seen several cases similar to yours. As a matter of fact, we are just about finishing with an adoption by a German-Dominican couple of a Dominican girl who happens to be the wife's niece. The fact that we have a German attorney in our staff helped.

Sanni1975

Jun 6, 2002
Custodia? Guarda legal? .....

Those are the latest words the consulate told me over here which are also possible for entry-visa to Germany.

Could you please provide me with any info on how to get this fos a child? Do we have to go to court first and what requirements ar eneeded?

If they "stamp" the bio-mom to be irresposible or whatsoever, does that mark her for her entire life or just regarding that custody/guardianship case?

Thank you!

Sanni1975

Jun 6, 2002
hi jazzcom,

i truly dont worry that much about her but about what comes up afterwards for us, me and my husband. i met that woman and wanted to simply slap her but didnt because of respect towards my mom- and dad-in-law in whose house we stayed!

so just forget about that "worrying"-thing and let me know if she has to sign a paper agreeing upon her being stamped irresponsible.... that was maybe more what i intended to say....

thank you for all help! we really need that kid come on over here asap as she wont be going to school in DR nor will she have a real kids' life....