Will my American cell phone work in the DR?

AmbiorixPaulino

Apr 24, 2002
www.geocities.com
I'm with Sprint and I know that they are around in the DR but I'm wondering if I'll have to setup a new service plan once there or if my American minutes are just as good, or better, than Dominican ones.:classic:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
All sprint phones work in dominican republic. I am not sure of your roaming plan which would cover DR but what I can tell you is this: get any sprint phone and have it reprogrammed here. They will give you a six digit programming code and then you can have this phone turned on by tricom, codetel or centennial.
Note: you must have the phone reprogrammed in a local cell phone shop before approaching the phone companies. When you would have your 6 digit programming code (cost 300 pesos) you are set to go to any phone companies except Orange, they use GSM phones.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
AmbiorixPaulino said:
I'm with Sprint and I know that they are around in the DR but I'm wondering if I'll have to setup a new service plan once there or if my American minutes are just as good, or better, than Dominican ones.:classic:

Set your phone to "automatic" and your phone will work. Cost are 99 cents a minute incoming and outgoing plus long distance on/if on outgoing. This is done through roaming agreements.

How can American minutes be just as good or better than Dominican ones? How would you expect to use them when NOT in the US?

You really aren't that silly, are you?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
My Sprint Phone works here - on Digital Roam

I don't use it, but I can still check to see if I have voice mails. I haven't seen any Sprint stores or services here - but I haven't really investigated it.

My personal opinion is Sprint is the worst of the bunch in mobile phone plans.

I called Sprint to ask them about rates from the DR when I was visiting in the past. I was told that the phone would not work there (here). I kindly pointed out that I was calling from Santo Domingo. I was told that it was impossible and that my phone "wouldn't work there".

I stated again "lady, I'm calling you from the Dominican Republic". To no avail, she wouldn't believe me.

Yeesh.

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
I used my AT&T cell while inthe DR, it was no different than anyplace in the US. (It is a Motorola phone, but I don't believe the phone brand has any impact on usability)

The charges were .65 per min and long distance surcharges

Janice