Cell Phone - Boca Chica - Best Option, Where to Buy?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I travel to DR 6 or 7 times a year and with normal communication needs, i was thinking of a cel phne bought in the DR and used with Codetel cards.

Questions:

In Boca Chica where to buy one and activated hopefully at the same time and how much for really rock bottom price? NO messaging, call display etc., needed. I would like to avoid going into the capital for a phone or LRM, San Pedro etc.

I need it rarely to make calls though I do need maybe to receive calls from Canada so I want one where I don't pay to receive calls and only use the calling card to make them.

For DR to DR calls it would be nice to get the lower/est per minute rate too I guess.

(For the inbound calls from my work they don't care what it costs to dial long distance Canada ---> DR anyway and there are calling cards here to call DR for less than CDN 9 cents/ US 5 cents a minute).

Given my experince with an expired analog phone which did work (barely) with Codetel cards but could nto receive I'd want whatever digital phone is the standard in DR now, I assume whatever Codetel uses.

Am I right that you receive calls for free?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Oops - One Final Question:

Since I am there and gone, there and gone, I need a phone that doesn't "expire" ( I know the Codetel card will but I can buy the RD$30 ones each time so no big loss) so I don't have to re-activate or similar activity, each time I arrive. (Roughly every 2 months)

Othwerwise I guess I can leave it with a friend and call it once a month but I would rather not.