apartment rental in Santo Domingo

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have searched the web but the choices are extremely limited. I rented a place in isabelita a few years back that was OK, and the price was right. Anybody have suggestions for a dcent apt at an affordable price? I might be living in SD for 6-12 months and use the apt as my office etc.

Any real estate agencies specializing in apartments but that do not appear online?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I would imagine Century 21 and REmax

also handle apt rentals. Sorry I don't have a number for them but perhaps someone on the board who lives in SD could post it for you.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What,for you,is an "affordable" price?

Lots of really nice apartments in the Naco,Piantini,Sarasota areas for 1,500 to 2,000 per month.Some are furnished.I,m talking US $,s!"CRISCO"

van dyk

Jan 7, 2002
rents have gone mad in the central part of santo domingo (naco, piantini, serralles). some apartments there can cost up to US$5,000 per month!!, they're luxury apartments, of course, but it's pretty hard to believe that such rent levels can happen in santo domingo!!. if u ask me, thay're TOTALLY not worth it, maybe in paris, ny or tokyo it would be a bit more plausible. I live in tokyo now and I pay half as much for a pretty decent apt. in a really trendy area of town.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
5 grand a month for apartments in Santo Domingo? I think that kind of price would be highly unusual and not in the norm. Are we really talking more like a grand? Even 1 bedroom's in Washington D.C., unfurnished can be had for $1100-1300 a month.

Last edited:

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
van dyk
Where do you live in Tokyo. e-mail me. I lived there in 2000.
MrBean is moving to Aoyama in August.
mk

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
US$5000 per month? That for sure isn't worth it.

For that kind of money, this is what you could have:

Furnished luxury 3 bdrm house with swimming pool just 15 minutes outside the city in a quiet neighborhood.
Lease a car that sells for US$100,000 like maybe a Mercedez.
Hire a private driver who sits all day waiting to give you a ride.
A housekeeper 6 days a week, 8 hours a day to cook, shop, clean, and do your laundry.
A private security guard.
A very expensive prostitute sleep over every other night.

And that would be paying more than market value for your servants.

House Rental RD$15000/month
Car Payment RD$32000/month
House Keeper RD$ 5000/month
Private Driver RD$ 7000/month
Guard for house RD$ 5000/month
Hooker RD$ 1500/day, RD$22000/month
Total RD$86000/month, US$5000/month

5 years ago I had a VERY luxury 2 bedroom apartment in a high rise in New Jersey, directly at the edge of the Hudson River (1/2 mile from Lincoln Tunnel) across from New York City with wall-to-wall foor-to-ceiling direct sweeping views of midtown and downtown Manhattan in every room, including all air conditioning, heat, and water. It cost US$2000/month.

My friend had a 3 bedroom on the floor below me with NYC views along one whole wall plus the side wall (corner unit) and he only paid US$2300/month.

A 2-bedrroom house in a nice quiet neighborhood in Boca Chica, 30 mintues from the edge of Santo Domingo's east side and 6 blocks from the beach goes for about US$400/month or less. A furnished 2-bedroom apartment 1 block from the beach there goes for about US$1000/month including utilities.

For US$5000/month, two people could live in a suite at the Hamaca Hotel in Boca Chica, in one of their luxury suites, and that's ON the beach and all-inclusive, with food, utilities, ...

Come to think of it, you could live like that off the interest paid on an American money market account with US$1.5 Million in savings at 4% interest.

Or off investments in Dominican commercial papaer with just US$300,000 invested at 20% interest.

Wow! Maybe time to retire.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I use to have an apartment at the Colony in Ft. Ree.

Incredible service. When I got home I just pulled up in front and left the engine running. When I wanted to leave I called up on the house phone to bring my car around.

Only problem was that Ft. Lee was too far from the Upper East side to drive so I moved back to the city.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
car payment

Jim, I really liked your response. But, at RD$32000 per month, what kind of car are you talking about. That sounds pretty steep. One other question. IS the car stealing bad in Boca Chica. Or is it relative, if you have a security guard? hey, might be thinking of living 6 months of the year in the DR.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
RD$32,000 a month? Maybe Golo could tell you what kind of car you can lease for that kind of money. A very good one, I know that.

I've never heard of a car being stolen in Boca Chica, ever. Or being broken into. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that I've never heard about any. In Santo Domingo, yes. In Boca Chica, Motorcycles, yes. But cars being stolen in BC? That's news to me.