Surfing DR

madcaster

Jun 2, 2002
Can anyone tell me about the surf in DR. I know there is some in the northern parts, but is there much in the south and east? Wtihin a few hours of SD? And as far as boards go, are there shops there or should i look into getting one before i go?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Nothing beats Cabarete.....

Know nothing about wind surfing on south and east coasts, but it is world class in Cabarete. International competitions are held there. In fact, I have seen signs indicating there is wind surfer racing competition there this weekend or next.

If you come to Cabarete, you will have no trouble getting a board. A number of shops and rental places are there.

I'm certain that no where in the DR is wind surfing equal to Cabarete. If you are a serious surfer, this is the only place to go.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Luperon in the winter

Come and spend a couple of days in Luperon Beach, some good waves, especially in the winter... Good ambiance, more authentic than Cabarete...

jimbo

Jun 12, 2002
Board Surfing (w/o sail) in DR

Suspect that you are talking about board surfing (w/o sail or parachute).

Yes there are great waves even in the south. I left Santo Domingo last year after four years of wave ridding island-wide. Strangely most of the best, most consisitant waves are found in downtown Santo Domingo. It's too polluted, but a half-hour east is one of the best breaks on the island. Look for the small Coast Guard station near the sugarcane mill by Boca Chica. It's got a fantastic right that breaks year round 3-8 feet. Always glassy in the early mornings, sometimes the same with offshores in the late afternoons.

South of Barahona you'll find a neat rivermouth in Baruocho (spelling?) with strong waves and a mystical atmosphere: big fish caught near the beach, beautiful setting, 4-star hotel next door, and the nicest locals in the world. It's real jungle in that area. In the background while you surf in the Larimar source, you'll see 5,000 mountains bordering Haiti, feel the cool water of the rivermouth, and hear the flow of each swell over white five pound round rocks.

Enjoy. I did and now am in an even more mystical place for the next three years: Sultanate of Oman.