OK, 2nd Request - Cost and Where to Buy Cell Phones

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I am sad to note that long term residents didn't reply the last time I asked this - I have 2 simple questions:

How much to buy a PCS phone, say Codetel , with no monthly fee but using Communicards to buy usage time?/

Where would one buy one in Boca Chica?

OK, one other question - if I use it occcasionally I understand the Codetel card expires after 60 days which is OK since I can buy 30 peso cards. Will the number stay activated for incoming calls regardless of inactivity? I can leave it with someone if I have to and call it once amonth but I'd rather not.

Montessorian

Apr 1, 2002
www.patriaquerida.homestead.com
phone cost

You can see much of that information on the website of the company that you are refering to. Remember many web addresses in the DR use .com.do

Also. there are cellular phone places in many parts of the country since they are so popular. I doubt you will have any trouble finding one.

Good luck.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Re: try the codetel website

kjdrga said:
Have you looked on the Codetel website for answers?http://www.codetel.net.do/

In fact I have, firstly it is all in Spanish which is not a big problem though not that easy and secondly they have no information at all other than monthly plans with preset minutes etc., included and no phone costs mentioned whatsoever.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
why don't you email them in English and ask them for their prices/minute plan and where they sell stores in Boca Chica?

Also you could buy a phone where you are and have it activated in Boca Chica on a calling card plan. I know that Centennial does this and is not too expensive, as well as codetel, orange (their website has prices and is in English) and then you could also try Tricom....

faith

Jun 8, 2002
cell phones

Hey...I am canadian and just got back from the DR for 5 months. I am not usre how long u are staying there but codetel can switch over a cell phone from canada. Usually it is FREE but they will try to get a few hundred pesos out of you. I had the card phone and I only put a 50 pesos card on it once in 5 months and still received incoming calls all the time. So good luck!!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Faith is right, but it only works on certain cell phones (I think the Nokia ones that use FIDO calling cards work), or at least that is what I was told by CODETEL. I was also told by a person who lives there that there is a place in POP that will change the phone chips if CODETEL cannot for a reasonable price...sorry, don't know the name of the place. Ask around...Best of luck!

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
ricktoronto said:
I am sad to note that long term residents didn't reply the last time I asked this - I have 2 simple questions:

How much to buy a PCS phone, say Codetel , with no monthly fee but using Communicards to buy usage time?/

Where would one buy one in Boca Chica?

OK, one other question - if I use it occcasionally I understand the Codetel card expires after 60 days which is OK since I can buy 30 peso cards. Will the number stay activated for incoming calls regardless of inactivity? I can leave it with someone if I have to and call it once amonth but I'd rather not.

The TRICOM next to the Western Union on Duarte behind the Don Juan Hotel has a nice selection of phones. There is an activation fee but no monthly charge. Phone prices vary by model. Expect to pay between 2 and 6 thousand pesos.

You cannot leave the phone for more than 45 days without having pesos on account. When you buy a card, you put them into your account via the phone. They are good for up to 45 days. Let me know if these terms have changed after you buy your phone.

If you must know for sure, how long you can go without using the phone before you lose activation, e-mail one of the phone rental services listed at www.BocaChicaBeach.net and ask, because this is an issue with all their rental phones. If they don't use them, they lose their incoming phone numbers and activation.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
So any CDMA Digital Phone Should Work?

I can buy a "Pay n Talk" CDMA (1900 Mhz dual mode w/ analog) phone here in Toronto for $99.00 (with $50.00 of time that I don't need) - so that's only 1,000 pesos and then I can activate it in DR on Codetel using Communicards?

I suppose I wuold not bother activating it here at all then.

Maybe I should find a CDMA phone on eBay.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Here is the deal.

If you plan on staying in a big city like Santo Domingo, Santiago or even La romana then activate with Centennial phone. They charge 3.67 pesos / min domestically or even to USA. Same price for both countries. They even charge less on European calls as compared to tricom and codetel. I would imagine tricom and codetel cost about 6 plus pesos / min to call within DR.
Get any used CDMA (sprint) phone but make sure the battery is in good condition and stays charged all day even if you make and receive phone calls. Bring that phone here and get in reprogrammed for 300 pesos (to unlock the phone). Then you will be given a 6 digit programming number. Now you are all set to go to any of the phone companies (centennial preferred) and have it activated. Make sure you know all the details of the plan before signing up. Remember to ask them to give you an easy number ex: 344-3434.

Note: all CDMA phones work here for codetel, tricom, and for centennial except Orange phone company because they use GSM phones. Sprint PCS is the best choice for the 3 companies I have listed above.