World Vision

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
I was just wondering what people think of World Vision? Do you feel that it is beneficial to sponsor a child or does it not do much good? Have you seen World Vision working in the DR? Has it made a difference to a specific family or the community?

Just curious.....

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
A complete scam

Merideth, just drive up Hwy 10 in Mississauga and see their new corporate headquarters. There is not one car in the parking lot more that 2 years old, a sign that the people are well paid. Plus, their office building is so luxurious that it blinds you.

In my opinion they spend 80 cents on the dollar that they receive on administration. Do yourself a favour, if you want to sponsor a child find one in the DR., then send the money directly to the mother or parent who is responsible.

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
years years and years back my parents used to sponsor a child through world vision. I don't remember why they stopped doing it though but if what you say is true Fred then it was probably the best thing they did.

I would sponsor a child directly before going to world vision but I am not sure I would just send the money to the parents. If you want the child to have a good education then I would send tuition money directly to the school...maybe allow for them to provide a small stipend, sort of like a scholarship. I would be worried if I keep sending money to the parents and they use it for something else.

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
I don't personally want to sponser a child, I have my own projects in the workings in the RD, however my mom sponsors two children in Guatemala and I have been kind of iffy on the program.

Doesn't the government give money to World Vision? What does that go towards?

I know that the money you send is supposed to help the entire community as well as the child being sponsored. My mom's one child is finally in school after all of her sponsoring. All I know, is that her children are so happy everytime they receive a letter from her and some small gifts or school supplies.

It is just hard to tell exactly where the money goes. I guess, I will find out when I go with her to visit her children soon!

Thanks for the thoughtful responses!

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Dont waste your money

I have personally been to many developing countries, and not on a vacation. In Mexico, DR, Venezuela, Columbia, Guatemala, believe me, the only ones who receive this money are when they take their cameras and do a promo for World Vision.

If you do not believe me there is a book out called: Lords of Poverty, the author after years of reseach claims that 80% of the funds taken in are spend on administration and some directors earning as much as $100k and most of the funds are spent in Paris France.

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
I am not wasting my money...

As I stated, I said that I was kinda iffy on the whole thing.

That book sounds interesting... Where is the author from and what are his credentials?

Oh, and what is his name?!?!

Last edited:
The Lords of Poverty, by Graham Hancock. Here is a link with some staggering statements.

http://www.commoncouragepress.com/hancock_lords.html

Did you see 60 Minutes a few weeks ago, about the American Red Cross in San Diego where apparently nothing from donations for fire victims of the California wild fires went to them. A very interesting scenario, if all relief agencies worked like it was indicated on the documentary, my faith in them is now nil.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
From World Vision's IRS form:

Total Revenue $468,045,000
Expenses:
Program Services: $388,393,000
Mangement and
General $27,613,000
Fundraising $50,897,000

Grants to DR
Pharmaceuticals $380,522
Computer SW $3952.00

Does not show (or I missed it) what sponsorship money spent in DR.

These are from 1999. the info is available on their web page.
www.worldvision.org

I niether favour nor disfavour World Vision. Just thought I would look and see what I could find. By the way, their accountants are not Arthur Anderson...

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
Hlywud... That is a great book review! Now, I have to go out and find it..... I missed the 60 minutes episode.

El Jefe... What great info! Thanks for being so helpful.
Stats are very interesting, especially about grants to the DR.
These types of organizations are so hard to read, but they have to being doing some type of good, with all of the support they are receiving.
But that is not always true...... with support.....