Puerto Plata divorce - Legal Papers - Where ???

T

TiberiusMineola

I have a good American friend who lived here in the RD for many years. He married a Dominican girl; then was later divorced. The specifics: bride: Miriam Esther Lizaon Blanco. groom: Gerald Arthur Torrence. marriage: Moca, RD. Divorced: Puerto Plata @ 1992 - 1993. I'm trying to obtain copies of his RD divorce papers. It's quite important. If an American was divorced in Puerto Plata, where can the papers be found? Approx. 10 years later? Are the papers public records? How can I, or he, obtain copies? Costs? Thank you.

Tgf

Jan 3, 2002
I can help you only partly...

answer your questions. I know these records are public and are all kept in the Oficialia Del Estado Civil. You would have to go to the municipio where the divorce was granted so I guess this means the Oficialia Del Estado Civil in Puerto Plata. I think, but am not 100% sure, that anyone can access copies of this information so you could probably do it for your buddy. You mentioned that the divorce was granted in 1992-1993. Each municipio enters all the pertinent information about divorces in a public registry called el Libro de Registro de Divorcio. There are many volumes of these books, each given a number. It would be faster if you could provide information about the book no., folios nos., and Acta No. This information is listed on all divorce papers. If your friend has a xerox copy of his divorce papers, this would do in providing exact information for the search. If you can't, that means a search of all volumes from 92-93 would have to be undertaken. This might be more expensive since Puerto Plata would have a lot more books than a small rural municipio. As for costs? I really have no idea of the current prices but I'm sure Fabio Guzman can answer all your questions precisely. Good luck.

Last edited:

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Not much to add to Tgf's thorough answer. The newspaper notice of the divorce usually contains the data you are looking for: Oficialia where it was recorded, date, book and folio numbers. If you can find this, just go the Oficialia indicated in the notice and show it to the clerk. The cost of obtaining a certified copy is very low.