Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salsa Jealousy

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Salsa Jealousy

Where can I learn to dance Salsa in Santo Domingo?.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Several schools. For starters, check out Ritmos, on Winston Churchill, almost corner Gustavo Mejia Ricart. Tel. 562-4577.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you already dance Merengue and Bachata?

Merengue is more popular than Salsa,and "REAL" Dominicans dance "Bachata",and drink Presidente con Clamato!! Tom

ditz
    Post Thanks / Like

I can totally relate to John's plight. Salsa may not be as tipico, but holy crap, does it ever look good!

1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2...aw man....I give up.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Jane,
    A good merengue is only 1-2. There's 1/3 of your problem solved!

mk

ditz
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, mk, but I can actually manage a decent merengue. My bachata is even better.

I'm Salsa-impaired.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Interesting to see that there are some other Salsa impared persons out there:>)
    Ive rung the school on Churchill and classes are starting in Salsa and Merenge on the 2nd of July twice a week Tuesday and Thursday 6.30 to 8.30 the cost is RD$1,500 and runs for five weeks ie 20 hours of classes. Forgot to ask how many people in a class but shall check it out when I pass by there to join. Will let you know how I get on

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry The Salsa impaired...

Jane,
    I totally empathize with you. I can do the merengue and bachata like the natives but, when the salsa starts, I slink back to whatever corner I usually sit in!
    My husband is so frustrated when teaching me the steps that I don't even bother any more.
    I took some lessons here in Canada but, when I was last in the DR, thought I could show everyone how good I've gotten but, wouldn't you know it, the salsa is nothing like what I've learnt!
    Fast-Fast-Slow...whatever the heck the teacher had taught us...all for nothing!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that like the old "guaracha"? Or Mambo? Anybody?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets be frank here. Of all the afro/latin/Caribbean dances Mernegue has to be the simplest to learn. That is probobly why the tourist like it so much. They can go out and not make too big of a fool of themselves. Having grown up dancing Salsa, mambo, Rhumba,cha cha cha..ect, it took me about 30 seconds to get Merengue down. I am Cuban after all!
    John
    The best way to learn salsa is to go to a club and wait for the Salsa to start playing. Play the dumb tourist and I am sure there will be a few lovely ladies who are more than happy o teach you.

Tony C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast