Salsa Jealousy

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Several schools. For starters, check out Ritmos, on Winston Churchill, almost corner Gustavo Mejia Ricart. Tel. 562-4577.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Do you already dance Merengue and Bachata?

Merengue is more popular than Salsa,and "REAL" Dominicans dance "Bachata",and drink Presidente con Clamato!! Tom

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I can totally relate to John's plight. Salsa may not be as tipico, but holy crap, does it ever look good!

1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2...aw man....I give up.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Thanks, mk, but I can actually manage a decent merengue. My bachata is even better.

I'm Salsa-impaired. :(

John

Jan 1, 2002
Interesting to see that there are some other Salsa impared persons out there:>)
I?ve rung the school on Churchill and classes are starting in Salsa and Merenge on the 2nd of July twice a week Tuesday and Thursday 6.30 to 8.30 the cost is RD$1,500 and runs for five weeks ie 20 hours of classes. Forgot to ask how many people in a class but shall check it out when I pass by there to join. Will let you know how I get on

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
The Salsa impaired...

Jane,
I totally empathize with you. I can do the merengue and bachata like the natives but, when the salsa starts, I slink back to whatever corner I usually sit in!
My husband is so frustrated when teaching me the steps that I don't even bother any more.
I took some lessons here in Canada but, when I was last in the DR, thought I could show everyone how good I've gotten but, wouldn't you know it, the salsa is nothing like what I've learnt!
Fast-Fast-Slow...whatever the heck the teacher had taught us...all for nothing!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Lets be frank here. Of all the afro/latin/Caribbean dances Mernegue has to be the simplest to learn. That is probobly why the tourist like it so much. They can go out and not make too big of a fool of themselves. Having grown up dancing Salsa, mambo, Rhumba,cha cha cha..ect, it took me about 30 seconds to get Merengue down. I am Cuban after all!
John
The best way to learn salsa is to go to a club and wait for the Salsa to start playing. Play the dumb tourist and I am sure there will be a few lovely ladies who are more than happy o teach you.

Tony C.

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
Re: The Salsa impaired...

Helen said:
Jane,
I totally empathize with you. I can do the merengue and bachata like the natives but, when the salsa starts, I slink back to whatever corner I usually sit in!
My husband is so frustrated when teaching me the steps that I don't even bother any more.
I took some lessons here in Canada but, when I was last in the DR, thought I could show everyone how good I've gotten but, wouldn't you know it, the salsa is nothing like what I've learnt!
Fast-Fast-Slow...whatever the heck the teacher had taught us...all for nothing!

I've been taking salsa here in Canada for a year now, learning the shines and all, go to the DR and I have no idea what I am doing. Apparently with the DR salsa the men start with the right foot and I know the salsa I have learned, the men start with the left foot forward and the ladies with the right foot back, starting with a basic mambo step and then going into whatever pattern you want. One of my DR friends knows how to do the cross-body lead they way I know it but he as well gets confused afterwards because he is so used to starting with the same foot the ladies do in Canada...or I should say LA style salsa (I think that is what I am learning, and we dance on the 2 step not on the 1)....oh yes and quick-quick-slow or 123, 567 as 4 and 8 are a pause often used for a styling move.:confused:

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
Salsa dancing. This is an old question, but I've decided to add my take on it. Salsa is very intricate and syncopated (stress on the weak beat), but while it looks good, it is not the same as dancing merengue, where you dance to the beat. I enjoy more watching two graceful salsa dancers than doing it myself; maybe because I cannot do it for the life of me. Merengue is just plain fun. Japanese, Chinese, Salvadorans, all make an attempt at merengue. No need to 'look' good while dancing to merengue, it just feels good, plain and simple. Some salsa dancers look too serious, and look around to see if people are watching them, especially the good ones. So, my take is that salsa is a show-off kind of dance. But on the 'fun' factor, merengue rules. And while I'm envious of good salsa dancers--they get all the good-looking girls--I have given up at trying to look good. Damn it! Why me?
When God was passing out salsa dancing skills, I thought they said "want some oil spills?", so I told them I did not want any.