Beach Vendors and residents

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
We are accustomed to the aggressive beach vendors, motoconcho drivers, etc. when we are vacationing.

My question is: How do you get them to leave you alone when you live there. My husband pointed out that it will be a difficult "retirement" if we are constantly fending off vendors. Is this a problem for residents, and, if so, how do you deal with it?

Thanks, Mainer

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hiya mainer!

It doesn't take long for the vendors to learn you are a "regular" or a "resident".
If you encourage them they'll sit and take a load off and talk to you for a while (either in Spanish of English).
You'll learn how the tourist trade is (up or down), where the best places to go to buy the things you need (at the best "local" prices), where to have car repairs done or which plumber/electrician is a good one. You'll get all the local "gossip" and what's happening where on the weekends for some R&R.
They don't try to get you to buy anything once they realize you're there to stay but you will develop "friendships" with some of them and feel more comfortable when you're out and about around town.
Friends will give good discounts without the hassle of bargaining when you have "visitors" from your home country and they can pick up all the trinkets and souvenirs they need to take back home with them. Your friends will also warn off the other vendors when you do have company (or you just have to say "X es mi amigo...yo compra todo de el) so you're not "plagued" by them.
Anything else.....ask away!!!

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
your treatment as a local/spouse of a local will be very different than that of a tourist.

If you maintain a good reputation as being nice, smart, friendly, and fair you will soon have more friends than you can imagine.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This one is easy...

I agree 100% with MommC and shadley000.

Once they know you they will leave you alone.
I can honestly say I have never had a problem with beach vendors. Just a polite "no gracias" and no eye contact works for me.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No problem for residents

My wife and I have been living in the DR since 1986, mostly in Samana, but we purchased a condo Sosua and have been living here for about two years. Only for a very brief time in either place were we bothered by vendors. If you act like a resident instead of a tourist, they quickly get to know you and leave you alone. For example, since we moved to Sosua we have been taking walks along the beach--good exercise and plenty of shade. I am almost never approached by a vendor, they look past me toward any tourists that are in sight.

Some recommendations:

1. Don't go into the tourist shops or look at the jewelry, etc., being sold on the street. If you act like a potential customer, then they are going to go after your business.

2. When walking somewhere, act like you are going somewhere. If you are stopped, do #4 & #5. Do not get upset, do not berate the vendor, etc.

3. Don't dress and look like a tourist (no bathing suits or short shorts on the street, for example). Look like a solid citizen. When you are here, look around. It won't take you long to see what are tourists and which are residents.

4. When approached by a vendor, just keep walking. Wave an index finger back and forth, it is the Dominican signal for "no" or "not interested". You can do same if a taxi, guagua, or any other individual or service tries to attract your attention to something you aren't interested in.

5. In addition to #2, when someone comes up to you, say something like "yo vivo aqui" (I live here) or "vivimos aqui" (We live here)

If you act like a resident, I guarantee you that--except for a short getting-acquainted period--you will have no trouble with vendors. You will still get an occasional question or offer, but it will be respectful and the person won't be surprised by your response.

Enjoy your retirement. A lot of us are, and vendors are the least of our problems.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Find another beach?

Since I hardly go to any beach that is not Punta Ruc?a, I haven't had a problem with vendors.

However all the advice that you have received from Ken and shadley and others is valid...

HB
needs_a_shave.gif

del4fun00

Apr 26, 2002
Punta Rucia

I don't want to hijack this string but I wanted to ask Hillbilly a quick question.

We went to punta rucia as tourists and loved it. It was the highlight of our vacation - nothing compares to it. I was wondering since Punta Rucia is not close to any major towns (at least for about 30 minutes) where do you commute to the beach from and how long does it take.

It looks like there is no way to get "city" type amenties around the immediate area.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
The waving finger of death!

Ken's #4 is the key to it all.

The waving index finger means no thanks. Coupled with a smile, this is the most effective way of saying no thanks in a way they understand.

And yes, they will get to know you if you go down there enough.

marc

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Marc is right, it is the key to it all. But I have been thinking since writing my post that I should have been clearer about the technique. If you want to show that you are a native, you don't wave your arm. You wag you index finger from side to side moving only your wrist.

Your arm, only from the elbow, is extended to the front. And you wag that finger only with the movment of your hand and wrist. It resembles what a teacher might do to caution an unruly child if she wants to convey her message by a hand signal rather than verbally.

Try it, you'll see that it is understood by all Dominicans.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Thanks for the tip, Ken.

I can picture what you mean. I have actually used it as a warning to my kids when they are across a room, and I don't want to embarrass them.

Mainer

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
That's it, mainer, you can move to the DR without worries about being harassed.

paul

Jan 1, 2002
www.angelfire.com
American style

we do the same thing in America only we use the "middle" finger and use a sort of upward movement of the whole arm to often include some colorful language- never thought of using that here but thanks for the ideas- you say that is well understood down here too??

wonderful of you to encourage the use of that well known american icon

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, Paul, it is not the same thing. The motion you describe is used in the DR, also, but not to say "no thanks".

I'd suggest not getting "cute" with your hand signals when visiting the Dominican Republic. Sure to spoil your vacation.

paul

Jan 1, 2002
www.angelfire.com
oh i see

perhaps i misread the otherwise clearly intentioned instructions above- and the mood of the wonderful people of the Dominican Republic that so endears them as loving and generous hosts to the rest of the world as evidenced by the tourist numbers mentioned above...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Here's one method that always get "RESULTS"!!!

This works on vendors,massage,and hair beading, haitians,as well as the beggars!When all the "polite" methods mentioned above fail to get the attention of the obnoxious beach trash,pick up a big handful of sand,preferably wet,preferably from dog ****,(lots of wild dogs scavengers on the beaches too) and throw it on the "Pain-In-The-Ass"! You can then go back to trying to enjoy some relaxation,until the next minute when the next one starts over again!!cc

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Re: oh i see

paul said:
perhaps i misread the otherwise clearly intentioned instructions above- and the mood of the wonderful people of the Dominican Republic that so endears them as loving and generous hosts to the rest of the world as evidenced by the tourist numbers mentioned above...

Paul - do you hit acid before posting? I don't understand if that is a shot at Ken, the DR, or not a shot at all...?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Little testy today, huh CC?

The finger waggle is quite effective. Remember it is a sideways movement, not up and down...
My only comment...

HB
beerchug.gif

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Nah,not really,HB"

Just something that popped into my head.Never did it,or saw it done,but the thought does bring a sadistic smile to my face on a Friday afternoon!I need to get to my apt. for some "R&R"! CRISCO

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I like to use a finger motion of my own - sideways, as if I'm slitting my throat. This is very well understood by the people, although probably a bit less believable were it to be used by you fat cats.

But it works for me :)