Looking for Appartment in Santo Domingo

Ricardito

Jun 15, 2002
Hola Correspondientes,
I don't know if I should write in Spanish or English. I am an Englishman who speaks Spanish since my mother is Peruvian, and have decided to take a year off my studies to go and live in La Republica Dominicana. I have heard so much about this isla bendita, and would love to spend at least 4 months teaching English in Santo Domingo (maybe somewhere not so big). As it happens I have accepted a job working for an English school there, and will arrive in September 2002.
So, I need somewhere to live. Could anyone give me advice on getting an appartment, what prices are like? Also, general advice on living there. I have lived in Peru and am accustomed to latin culture and how things are done, but what should I look out for??

many thanks to anyone who can help me,

gracias

Cadito

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
Not sure where the school is that you're teaching at but I have a friend working in Hererra and she lives in el doce, which is the west part of SD. It's a nice neighbourhood, just when you get onto the street there are many dump trucks going by during the day as she lives right near the port. Her apartment is very nice, even has a pool, she pays about 5,500RD/month, hot water but no generator. However she says the power doesn't go off very often. If interested, I can get you the # to inquire.

Ricardito

Jun 15, 2002
Gracias Diana y Pib

OK, Diana, i would be very interested in this contact of yours. I am very grateful for all your suggestions. Pib, that was my original idea what you suggested, but mannn!! the hotel prices are sky-high!!! I have money, but I am looking to live as a student. Can you recommend any pensiones or hostels in S.D.?
Wow, I am thrilled that a website like this exists and even more so that people write in it so regularly.
que maravilla!!!!

:cool:

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
In Boca Chica, the beach town nearest Santo Domingo, you can get a place for anywhere from US$5 for just a bed to US$25 for a basic hotel room with air, cable tv, and swimming pool. The Joker Hotel is cheap and emmaculately clean. A discount maybe for long term stays. There are others closer to the beach for slightly more.

30-45 minutes to downtown Santo Domingo, 15 minutes to the outskirts. See www.BocaChicaBeach.net for hotels, e-mail me if you want to rent just a cheap room with private bath. If your activities are in Santo Domingo, they have cheap bus service back and forth that runs throughout the day and early evening.

Ricardito

Jun 15, 2002
Jim, man I love you

Hey there, thanks for your reply Jim, that sounds great, I will buy you a drink when I get to Dominicana. That is if you are there!!
;)
I will stay in touch with this website.