Moving to DR...anyone want to come along?

Roberto1

Jun 15, 2002
Moving to DR....

Hello folks,

I'll be moving to Puerto Plata between July and September 2002.
Ive been coresponding with an apartment owner that has a place in Munoz Domain, Puerto Plata. Seems like a nice location, quiet, secluded and safe but they are asking 350 a month US$
for a small very basic apartment...this seems a little high...considering the size of the apartment, no generator, water has to be puchased separately and hauled in 5 gallon buckets etc...
One of the best accomodations I think I have found would be the rooms/apartments above Sams Bar (hotel castilla). Anyone know of this place? It's right in POP. They are charging about 150 a month US$ for apartment with private bath, kitchen,fridge etc.

I'm seeking basic ammenities but still a nice place to come home to. Most of my time will be spent working and volunteering in the schools.

Also I'm told that most employers don't require any kind of papers to work...this was from a locals mouth. Is this true?
Although I do plan to get my recidency as soon as I can.

What is the job market like for someone who is willing to work?

I have no degree of anykind but am skilled in many trades:

computer repair, sales, cable tv, satellite tv, maintenance, customer support and service, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, etc, etc...
You can say I've done almost everything and take my work ethic seriously and am very people oriented.

My hobbies and interests include:

I'm an adventurist at heart...just love nature.
Love to work on computers.
Enjoy meeting new people and cultures.
Photography
The list goes on and on.

Unfortunately they are reqiuring that I show a return ticket upon arival...unless i can show proof that I will be employed when I get there and that's a little hard to do. If someone could sponser me not only would that be a godsend but would save me mucho money on my ticket...I have found 439US$ (Detroit to Puerto Plata) for one way and about double that for a round trip.

I'm also looking for someone who may like to travel with me.
And maybe someone I could get in touch with when I arrive to show me around and get me aquainted with Puerto Plata and it's natives, expats etc.

I'm a 33 yr old male whos outgoing, single and looking to make a major change in my life. I have been researching the DR for some time now and am finding that the country, people and cultures
are something I want to be a part of.

If anyone has any comments or are interested in contacting me please feel free to do so.

Roberto

Last edited:

Roberto1

Jun 15, 2002
Geez don't reply all at once...I see alot of window shopping going on but no replys...something I said?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We are probably just wondering

You had better count on having that return ticket; also at least three month's worth on money. you don't want to
BANGHEAD2.JPG

I am not that familiar with the job market there in POP, but I imagine that a Jack of all Trades might be able to hold his own doing odd jobs. Good electricians and plumbers are hard to find.

You might talk to people at the Deposito Ferretero (hardware Depot) for that kind of work.

Just go around to the Industries in the Free Zone and offer your computer repair skills...

Also be sure to bring your most valued and difficult to find tools, testers and so forth. Normal tools can be found here but testers tend to be expensive...
soapbox.gif

HB
needs_a_shave.gif

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Hillbilly knows...

Might cost some more dough, but HB is right. Consider the return ticket an insurance policy. You might come down and find that making in-roads to earning pesos could take 6 months or longer. If you run into unforeseen events, "tools stolen", etc. you could find yourself on skid row. If you happen to get down on your luck, you might try rolling the bones on the crap table. Of course, that is not recommended for everyone and you should know the odds before betting your next meal on the pass line. I would think a winning combo, would be both hardware and software skills. Learn some Visual Basic or be adept with MS Access. Let us all know how you make out.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Sorry, But I see a dark future ahead. First of all, do you speak spanish? If not, then you are looking at a time-share type sales job. Even in that market, the competition is high and potential clients are few. Puerto Plata has taken a nose dive when it comes to economy. Many hotels are either low in occupancy or closed.
The place you are talking about for 150 dollars / month, just remember, you will get what you pay for. I suggest you should stay there a night (first) before you cough up a month's rent in advance.
Tell us, have you been to this country before? If yes, have you spent a night in town, away from the resort?
What is it that you really want out of DR? You said that you are looking for a major change in your life. Are you sure you know what you are getting into? Jobs are very few in the north coast and money is not so easy to make.
I hope you do bring in enough money to live on your own for a few months and find out for yourself. Paradise doesn't come cheap (now-a-days).
Good luck

Macoris

Apr 17, 2002
I do not recommend Hotel Castilla. It is cheap but it is a dump. With respect to Munoz, I know the place and it is close to Playa Dorada where you will be able to secure a job. I understand that $ 350 a month is high but rental in Puerto Plata is expensive for what they have to offer. Rent one month and then, after having met people, then look for a place to share if it is what you want.

One more think, you should contact Mr. Puerto Plata. His name is Grahame BUSH, he is Brit, and he has been in the Dominican for more than two years. Besides your return flight ticket, he is you insurance too. He is very nice, helpful and he will assist you the same way that he helped alot of us. His email is:

bedggood.bush@codetel.net.do

Goodluck and I am sure that you will have a great experience !

Macoris

Apr 17, 2002
Sorry, Grahame has been in the Dominican for ten years and no for two like I inadvertently wrote.

Susanita

Feb 11, 2002
What a spirit!!!

Roberto,

I envy your sense of adventure and "go for it" attitude. If anything, what you can't make in money you have obviously earned in inner growth and spirit. God speed, my friend.

I have a friend in Puerto Plata who works for the power plant. He's a Network Technician and surely he can correspond and talk to you when you are out there. He speaks English and of course is Dominican. The company is American owned and if anything, there might be something there for you. Who knows...perhaps a way in.

As for the cost of housing - hold off on that until you talk to the connections posted here. Also, you never know who may need a roomie. I'll ask my friend and e-mail you his Yahoo ID and info.

I also met a gentleman on my most recent trip who may be of some help as far as odd jobs. E-mail me and I'll give you the dats.

You say you volunteer in schools...what do you do? Do you teach, missionary work or what? If I may inquire? If it's any kind of missionary work then you know you can be sponsored by the church - and in some cases you can even offer such as proof and not the return ticket. I don't know all the details but I know there are ways.

Again, God speed to your ventures and this has been of help and encouragement.

Susana

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Roberto1

Sounds like a great idea to me. If you don't know Spanish, figure about 6 months before you will be able to really have decent conversations assuming you won't spend most of the time hanging around with too many "gringos". Otherwise it may take a year or so I have have met a few gringos who hang around Sosua and never really learn the language.

If you are good at what you say you can do, you can find plenty of work. I met a guy who came down for a long vacation and liked to work, so he charged US$25/hour to fix just about anything. He was turning jobs down. You will need tools to do this. Transportation was some what of an issue, but it just slowed him down a bit.

The return ticket is mandatory and not worth getting a sponsor. I find that round trips are fairly close to one-ways and you can put the date as far a year. I bought a US$90 ticket to Puerto Rico when I was going back and forth a lot and just showed that to them if I was on the last leg of the ticket going back. After the year I just changed the date and after the two years the value applied to the purchase of my last ticket. So I didn't loss anything and the changes were made at the counter when I was checking in.

I would also be interested to hear what plans you have for working in the schools.

Find something short-term to live in and when you met people you can find something that really fits your needs. Spend some money for some basic comforts and security. It makes adjusting a bit easier.

Good luck, Tom F.

PS. mentally inserting some sort of neat smiley face.

roger

Jun 23, 2002
what are you doing?

More than 10 years ago, I felt that I needed a change so went to the DR looking for an experience. I have recently returned back to North America. My advice THINK ABOUT IT!

You will be moving to a third-world country. The electricity and water will go off constantly. Sosua? That is the absolute shithole of the country. The dregs of the DR gravitate to Sosua. If you are into whoring around, drinking, ripping off people(and being ripped off) Sosua would be the place.

Are you into adventure? Why do you want to go to such a place? Now I know why these same questions were asked to me by a DOMINICAN working at JFK when I made my first trip there. The last thing he told me was to be careful and never trust anyone.

Don't worry so much about having the proper work background. If you are white and good-looking you will be o.k. You would be amazed at how many expats bullshit their way through things down there. Be prepared to do just about anything. If you are the crafty type you'll be safe. It may seem confusing keeping track of who is ripping you off at times, but don't worry you'll get used to it. I did.

The entire country is a free-for-all. This is a place where charm is a bonus. As per plane ticket-why not purchase the return flight. You may use the return. Or what about a cheap tourist charter flight? That residencia is a sham!!! 5 years ago, I thought I would finally get mine. I even had a former student (one of my gigs was English Teacher)that works in the government go to bat for me. After spending more than $500 and endless hours of wasted time, I lost everything when the government changed. A word of warning-the current government is the worst ever-led by the vegetable-headed 'president' Mejia, who is driving the enconomy into the basura with his wacky reforms.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE think this through. What about Santo Domingo? There are more English Schools there. You got check the International School of Santo Domingo. Free Zones are far from Sosua area, plus do you really want to work in an industry that pays less than $200 a month to people who sew leisurewear for Wal-Mart?

How about Peace Corps? Or hooking up with an NGO?At least that way you would have some kind of protection.Don't pay one cent of that $350 rent that they are asking for. What a rip off. You could just go- get on a plane and find a safe place to camp out while you look for a place and talk to locals about the true going price.

Te deseo mucho suerte, mi amigo. Piensalo muy bien, y si te decidas irse, ten muchisimo cuidado.