high voltage

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I just arrived back in the R.D. a few days ago and have noticed that CEPM, my electric supplier, has the juice up in my house. It historically has been around 114 - 119 volts. I am now getting a reading of 130 volts. I don't want my electronics to fry. I will be going to CEPM to address the matter with them on Monday. However, knowing the mentality of the business of customer service in the R.D. I am preparing myself to expect an answer there is nothing they can do.

I have heard that you can adjust the voltage meter to regulate the amount of juice entering the house. Can this be done? What are my other options?

It is great to have power 24/7. But not when it is going to damage my goods. Regards, PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
the rest of us should be so lucky

You can get that regulated, for sure.....Imagine that...electricity 24/7 and at 130...

Besides, your equipment should be able to handle that voltage quite easily, I am sure....

finally, you could get a small voltage regulator, they are not expensive....

HB
needs_a_shave.gif

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Charged Extra

Criss, I'm being charged extra for the privilage of having 24/7. Just don't want to be charged extra for repairs to the computer, tv, , vcr, and refrig. Besides, how am I going to get good advice from you folks if my PC is toast? Regards, PJT

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
HB is right ...voltage regulator will do it

Sola regulators are fairly easy to find.

Best, Dave

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Have the power company lower the tap voltage at the step-down transformer that supplies your house. This is the big can/transformer that is hanging on the power pole. A 10% voltage varience (and about 3 to 5 cycles per second) can be safely handled by most equipment. 130 volts is a little high. I'll bet your fans and refrigeration compressors are really humming!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Lower Voltage

Andy, yes my equipment is humming. Yet, I want to keep it humming at a lower octave. I visited CEPM this AM and consulted with the supervisor about this high voltage matter. He mentioned that 130 is at the top level of servicable voltage and agreed that it can be lowered. A technician arrived at the house this PM to check the readings. His multimeter said voltage was at 128 while mine read 130. He is going to make arrangements to as you would say to lower the tap voltage at the transformer tomorrow morning. So far, good customer service from them. Let's see what happens tomorrow. Regards, PJt

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
You are lucky. My meter in Boca Chica varies in reading from 70 to 90. Only when the planta is running do I get 120.

A regulator? One to control the entire house would be quite expensive I imagine. A small one for the computer isn't even cheap (over US$50).

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Voltage lowered

CEPM as promised returned yesterday to lower the household voltage. It was dropped to 124 from 130, not as much as I had hoped; but as least it was dropped. I was more impressed by the prompt response by the utility than anything else.

The technicians explained the voltage cannot be lowered any more from the transformers because they are at their lower limit. It was explained that last year the company had replaced the lines and doing so the amount of juice getting to the units had increased, limiting the level it can be cranked down. In order to lower the voltage any further would necessitate replacement of the transformers with new ones. Regards, PJT