WOW ! Italy is out.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I guess you were all right. Many surprises. I don't know too much about soccer but is a goalie suppose to lay down and let the ball in when there's only two minutes left in regular time? Found it so hard to believe how great he was for all 88 minutes then.....??? and what did Totti do to get a red card or whatever you call it. Didn't look too bad to me but what do I know? Any comments?

arenas809

May 22, 2002
Unbelievable...

I just saw the scene at the stadium on ESPN, it was crazy since S Korea won, then they went to like a club or something and there were all these kids there watching, and they went absoultely nuts, they were louder when the people in the stadium where when Jung? scored the goal...unbelievable...and the guy from Japan that almost scored at the end against Turkey was crying after the game...I felt so bad for him...soccer is really a world sport...and to think I never really liked it until I played a video game of it (FIFA 2002 PS2) :)

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Anna mi amoll

Totti got the red card for faking a foul to get a penalty kick from the referee.
Actually he only got a yellow card but since he already got a yellow earlier
the second yellow is an automatic red.
It.s a judgement call. I think all the guys were out to break each others shins
Goals in the last minute got to be nerves I wonder myself how that happens again and again. X

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Here is what...

I think will happen: S Korea and Spain will fight to total exhaustion than
Germany after beating USA will take care of the tired winner and
end up loosing against Brazil. What happend to England?? X

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Actually Totti wasn't faking it!! He was fouled and

brought down by a S.Korea player but the ref didn't see it and thought he was faking it, hence the yellow. The tape shows the true story. Too bad it isn't used in "futbol". Maybe someday.
It was a good game.......

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Saw the game, watched the tape

The Mexican commentators on Galavisi?n said right away that he took a dive. And the players have been sternly warned about this. Look at what happened when Rinaldo(?) of Brazil, faked getting hit by a kicked ball, in the face, and did a magnificent flop.
Although he got the opposing player ejected from the game, when it was reviewed, the referee was kicked out of the Finals for being so stupid, and Rinaldo(?) was fined $7,500....(S.Fr$15,000)

Korea was playing a great game without being able to finish. On that particular shot, Buffon, the Italian goalie, was shielded from the shot by one of his players and the guy hit the ball quite hard, with a downward spin. It actually bounced under Buffon. Great shot. Seconds before that goal the announcers were talking about Buffon as the Player of the Game...Just shows how things change in f?tbol.

Looks like an interesting weekend of f?tbol...

HB
needs_a_shave.gif

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Interesting

I was watching the English version of ESPN and they didn't mention the "flop" or even allude to that being such a no-no. They were oblivious to what's being discussed here.

I thought the referee made a terrible call and decided the match - from 35 yds. away no less!

A no-call would have been more appropriate - why go with such a match/momentum altering call?

The announcer mentioned that the ref' was from Ecuador and that Italy eliminated Ecuador in the first round. He said "i only mention this as an odd coincidence, I'm not implying anything, it's just odd".

I thought the whole incident ruined a fine match and left a bit of a black eye on the tournament.

Anyway, I'm rooting against S. Korea from here on out for just that reason.

Interesting how you can have so many different versions of the same event.

I guess that's what makes sports so fun.

I'm hooked, regardless if USA gets past the Krauts, I'm going to watch the rest.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Not so fast El Cleefo

A guide to Sportmanship Italian Style:

Perugia coach Serse Cosmi has insisted that South Korea forward Ahn Jung-hwan will not be welcome at the club next season after scoring the golden goal that knocked Italy out of the World Cup. "I will ask my president to let him go. I don't want to see him in my team," he said.

Perugia president Luciano Gaucci agreed with Cosmi. "I will never see him in Perugia. I don't want to. Ahn won't be a Perugia player any more. I called his agent, I talked with my executives, and we chose that....I consider his attitude an offence to a country that helped him for two years."

"Ahn will never play for Perugia again. What do you think I would do? That I would keep a player who ruined Italian football....He'll just have to go back to Korea and earn 100,000 lire (about 48 dollars) a month."
Good riddance boys and hope not to seeya again soon.