Source for tourist paintings ???

jbourke

Jun 22, 2002
Hello,

Can you tell me where the tourist paintings are made. I would like to have a special one painted.

Thanks

john

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What sort of painter are you looking for? What type of painting do you have in mind. Most of the paintings that are sold in tourist areas are "Haitian" and done on an assembly line. Check out the tourist shops in Sosua, for example, and you will see the same paintings over and over again.

I'm assuming this is not what you want.

ArJay

Jan 1, 2002
painting

I Observed the paintings by a local Haitian artist over the course of 4 days in LT at the bungalow I was staying in and bought 2. The framing back here in the US was 4 times more than the paintings cost. The large one is not perfect but a striking painting that livelies up my room with Red and lighter earth tones with a waterfall. The second one is has green. What I enjoy most about them are the colors and the mystery of the people who never have faces, and are depicted working in unison.

My friend went to greater lengths to buy one from a well known gallery in SD. The artist was again Haitian. It was delivered with a letter of authenticity at a suitably higher price than mine.

Last edited:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
My very good friend is a local artist who sells his paintings to the gift shops. He's a genuine artist, who has studied in Santiago - one of his paintings even turned up in the newspaper here (he does the most amazing Bob Marley cuadros.)

I could put you in touch with him, if you're in the Sosua area. He has a really cool studio and is an amazing person.