Pan Am To Begin Santo Domingo - Moon Service

Apr 26, 2002
World Airline Gazette - June 23, 2002

Sanford, Florida

Pan Am World Airlines announced today that it will begin service between Santo Domingo and the Moon beginning November 22, 2002. Pan Am expects to use the Space Shuttle Columbia, recently acquired from the Air and Space Museum, for this flight. The anticipated flight schedule will be:

Depart SDQ 0600 --- Arrive Moon 1840 +3 days

Depart Moon 2030 --- Arrive SDQ 0340 + 3 days

"Unlike other airlines that have cut back, we will be providing real meal service on this flight," announced Pan Am CEO and Chief Pilot A. Rich Mellon.

"Though the Space Shuttle Columbia is a little old, and parts are a little hard to come by, we just acquired twenty-five 1970's era 727-200s to use for parts, and a spot welder. That should do the trick," continued Mellon.

Pan Am has announced its intentions to serve 87 destinations from its new Santo Domingo hub. From 1998 to the present, the North American version of the airline has flown to over ten destinations in the United States, but never to the same destination for more than two weeks. "We like to keep the airports and the passengers on their tows," explained Mellon, who continued, "besides, our route structure and business plans don't need to make sense just as long as they let me continue to fly the plane."

Though Space Shuttle type aircraft dating from the 1970s are known to burn even more fuel per revenue passenger mile than 727-200s, Mellon notes that "fares will be competitive because we'll be the only Dominican flag carrier going to the Moon, at least for a while."

President Hipolito Mejia of the Dominican Republic welcomed the announcement of service to the Moon, pledging to be a passenger on the inaugural flight. "I'll be on that flight to the Moon," said Mejia, "if they can schedule it between my exceedingly important government missions to Cannes and Las Vegas."

Mejia also mentioned that the Dominican Government might purchase Space Shuttles of its own from Ukraine. "I'm working a $RD80,000,000,000 loan from First USA Bank right now, which I fully expect the Senate to approve," explained the Dominican President.

"This announcement of service to the Moon brings the Dominican Republic to the forefront of science and technology," continued Mejia, whose comments were cut off abruptly by a power failure at the National Palace.

When asked for comment, opposition leader Leonel Fernandez was quoted as saying, "Jeez, more Pan Am bull sh_t! That rich Mellon kid has never flown to any airport for more than two weeks. But, if the flight to the Moon does really depart, I look forward to seeing President Mejia on it."

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Mark Porter and Stanley Juaquin will be on board too!

Porfio,I have been accused of "Pan Am Bashing" in the past.If all the Pan Am misadventures of the past had not taken place,your post would not be do darn funny!PanAm is the "Publico" of the airline industry.They will "SOON" be flying to:"Hell and Back"! To bad that each time they go out of busines they leave so many poor Dominicans stranded,and losing so much money!CRISCO

Apr 26, 2002
Thanks Criss

Thanks Criss.

Some people in this forum have accused me of being either an ex-Pan Am employee or an American Eagle employee. I am neither, but have watched the "new" Pan Am in action for a few years now. The airline is the play toy of some wealthy Norteamericanos who want to be pilots. It has lousy service and no real future. Aeromar has a better chance of surviving in the RD, but I doubt they will survive either.

The fact is that the airline industry is brutal and monopolistic. American Airlines will reduce its airfares to levels below its costs just to put Aeromar out of business. So, while it's okay for people to wish Pan Am and Aeromar well, reality dictates that they will NOT be able to play with the big boys for very long.

Spirit Airlines, though, should survive when it begins service to the RD from Fort Lauderdale. That's because, flying from Fort Lauderdale, Spirit will not be competing directly with American.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Pan Am ready to employ new technology

Rumor has it that the new aircraft produced by a joint venture between Greenpeace and The American Society to Suppress Horrific Oil and Lubricant Emissions will be used by Pan Am.

It employs a flapping wing technology that will reduce fuel consumption dramatically. However passengers will have to dress in rubber suits because the plane will buck severely and make it impossible to hold the drinks.

Could be messy, but progressive.
Stay tuned for more news from Pan Am--The Little Airline That Could--or Not.

Apr 26, 2002
Too Costly

Pan Am would only go for it if the thing cost less than a 30-year-old Yugo, consumed more gas than a fuel-air rocket, and the owner of the airline were allowed to fly it.