Dining Out In Sosua

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Should you be visiting Sosua, even if you are staying at an all-inclusive resort, here are a few suggestions for restaurants, which you may enjoy. Dining out is for the most part inexpensive. For less than 200 pesos you can enjoy a good dinner in any of the places below. First on my list is La Roca. Located on the main street (Pedro Clisante) beside the lane leading to Sosua Beach. The menu is varied and good. Service is excellent and the large terrace is a perfect place to watch the passing throng. Specials are listed every day on a sandwich board out front. Right across the street is Morua Mai, everything from pizza to lobster and again good food and service. About half a block up the street away from the beach is Mamajuana owned for many years by Swiss ex-pat Marcus. Here I usually order weinerschnitzel, always good and filling. If you like mashed potatoes ask for them even if they aren?t on the menu. Recently Marco opened a small intimate bar right behind the dining area. It is air-conditioned and funky. A couple of doors from Mamajuana is the Britannia Pub operated by Barb and linden Andersen from Calgary, it is friendly and often busy. It is a hangout for ex-pats and offers excellent lunchtime specials (fish and chips on Fridays). Go another block and turn left when you see Harrison?s Jewelry Store. A bit further on the right is Mama Mia, which in my estimation serves the best pizza in Sosua. There is also a full menu of fish, chicken, pasta and beef. Service is good and it is inexpensive. Next door is Rockys Blues Bar, good for inexpensive meals. Go back to Harrison?s turn left, go another block or so and at the corner of David Stern is El Toro, a steak house. Their beef is excellent and the prices reasonable. You may also want to try TheWaterfront, great view and ambience. My last suggestion, if you enjoy Dopminican food is Restaurant Central in Charamicos, 1lb. of lobster 140 pesos. It is the only restaurant mentioned here which necessitates a taxi (50 pesos), the others are all easy walking distance from most hotels. Other visitors will no doubt have their own choices, however, to me, these are all good. P.s. Don?t forget to leave a propina (tip) for your server, especially if service is good. Enjoy yourselves in Sosua.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sosuadominicanrepublic/:cool: :cool: :cool:

pascal

Jan 14, 2002
I concur with your choice of all those nice places ....Just one thing my Condor plane on June 13 was empty no tourits as my return flight on June 19 was......full of empty space.
Stayed in Sosua after I landed one night , went to town near La roca but nothing to watch around....Sosua was empty as well no activity at all besides a big strike which gathered most locals.
What's happening with tourism are they all hiding in the all inclusive ?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, Pascal, it is very slow at present. Not hiding, just no here.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Ken said:
No, Pascal, it is very slow at present. Not hiding, just no here.

But Ken it has been very slow for the last few years. Think back a few years. It isn't all that many years ago when the sidewalks were so crowded you had to walk on the street. There may be as many tourists as there were years ago but when destination reps tell people it isn't safe to go out at night and places like Casa Marina provide buses to take guests from the resort to Playa Sosua, at best a ten minute walk and the AIs provide everything in their pricing they certainly are a big reason the restaurants aren't busy.:cry

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sosuadominicanrepublic/:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
True, not like it once was. But there are more options these days, more resorts in more areas than then. But more important, hotel occupancy all over the country is down significantly. Tourism people believe 2003 will be better. Vamos a ver.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Ken said:
True, not like it once was. But there are more options these days, more resorts in more areas than then. But more important, hotel occupancy all over the country is down significantly. Tourism people believe 2003 will be better. Vamos a ver.

Right Ken. Time will tell.We shall see.
:rolleyes:

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The big AIs get business through the travel agencies and their fancy brochures. The little guys can't compete moneywise. The government is not helping. I see ads all the time for Jamaica, Bahamas, Aruba etc. Never for the DR. It has as much to offer but the government will not invest.

Sanni1975

Jun 6, 2002
Yep, unfortunately I see it the same way "El Jefe" does...

Sometimes one could believe the Dominican gov't. doesn't even want tourists to come to their beautiful island! Over here in Germany, you can see public buses painted allover with Cuba-ads, but not a tiny bit of promoting the DR... It is a pity!

Another thing which should be forbitten by law are these untrue and entirely negative TV-reports.... Don't know how it is in the rest of the world but over here in Germany, the image broadcasted over TV just shows a DR where it's best not to go out at all as you are murdered, raped or violated in any other form possible. Why can't they show some positive things? Why do they have to promote some idiots' opinion stating that you better don't buy property in the woodlands as it might be dangerous... Who the hell would buy a home in the woods over here if he/she is not acquainted with the language, culture, mentality etc.???

Well, I rather stop as I don't want to make myself too angry and mad... I came back from DR on June 19 and yep, it's totally empty..... We had around 50 people in the hotel, Playa Naco had a total of 13 guests... So even the AI packages don't attract sufficient tourists!!! The only hotels that couldn't complain were the RIU's and Iberostar - but why the hell do they/we/...(?) have to still build new hotels with more bed space available if the existing ones can't even be filled?????

Hope that business will get better and hope that they somehow find a way to attract "classy" tourists at still "reasonable" prices without robbing them but still without giving their rooms for peanuts, only.

Oh yes, by the way, another googd restaurant in Sosua-Charamicos has been "ATLANTICO" on top of the cliff, overlooking the ocean and beach. Hopefully it is still open.....?!?!

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Sanni1975 said:
Yep, unfortunately I see it the same way "El Jefe" does...

Sometimes one could believe the Dominican gov't. doesn't even want tourists to come to their beautiful island! Over here in Germany, you can see public buses painted allover with Cuba-ads, but not a tiny bit of promoting the DR... It is a pity!

Another thing which should be forbitten by law are these untrue and entirely negative TV-reports.... Don't know how it is in the rest of the world but over here in Germany, the image broadcasted over TV just shows a DR where it's best not to go out at all as you are murdered, raped or violated in any other form possible. Why can't they show some positive things? Why do they have to promote some idiots' opinion stating that you better don't buy property in the woodlands as it might be dangerous... Who the hell would buy a home in the woods over here if he/she is not acquainted with the language, culture, mentality etc.???

Well, I rather stop as I don't want to make myself too angry and mad... I came back from DR on June 19 and yep, it's totally empty..... We had around 50 people in the hotel, Playa Naco had a total of 13 guests... So even the AI packages don't attract sufficient tourists!!! The only hotels that couldn't complain were the RIU's and Iberostar - but why the hell do they/we/...(?) have to still build new hotels with more bed space available if the existing ones can't even be filled?????

Hope that business will get better and hope that they somehow find a way to attract "classy" tourists at still "reasonable" prices without robbing them but still without giving their rooms for peanuts, only.

Oh yes, by the way, another googd restaurant in Sosua-Charamicos has been "ATLANTICO" on top of the cliff, overlooking the ocean and beach. Hopefully it is still open.....?!?!

Hi Sanni I agree the gpvernment just seems to do nothing. I didn't mention Atlantico a restaurant I have enjoyed for many years because it was closed the last time I visited. Hopefully it has reopened, the food was so good and the view really nice. Next door is Michael's Pub a Dominican place where you can get Dominican Service, a small bottle of rum, ice and mix for 80 pesos and grandes for 30 pesos. A wonderful place to sit and enjoy.

;)

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Atlantico has been closed for a long time, i think Richard was there in april. I was there both in november and in january, and it was closed also then.