this one's for mainer

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Hi, I tried to e-mail but couldn't, so here goes:
How is your search going for a suitable place to rear your kids?
Also, I read some of your other posts, and was especially interested in the on you wrote about your area of the state and the prolific drug problem. Where I am from in Maine (but no longer live) is PLAGUED with drug abuse, mostly prescription drugs. Do you think that other areas are not equally plagued? I mean, Maine is so remote, especially eastern, northern, western...you know what I mean, unless you live in SoMe it's remote. And the drugs still get there, somehow.
How about speech therapy, how is that search going? My husband is deaf, and when he was in DR two winters ago, had his hearing aids stolen. Interestingly enough many deaf locals were routed out of the woodwork by his hosts so that he would not feel "left out". My husband actually spent hours entertaining local kids with his lipreading ability--they would silently mouth words and he would rattle them off.
If you do end up in the DR I would love to be updated on any services you are able obtain for your daughter. My husband needs periodic therapy. He was raised to speak, not to sign, although he does both. We're considering moving down, as well.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Hi,
We are still working on it.
We have a trip planned for Oct to visit the DR and look at it with a "moving there" point of view. I haven't found anything about speech therapy yet. I promise I will post for those interested when I do.

Our house is for sale, but we haven't had much luck, yet. We have been busy liquidating all of our excess stuff. Boy, we have collected a lot of "junk".

BTW Portland has recently had it's 18th heroin overdose (death) since January. Also, the largest heroin bust in Maine just happened.....in Caribou.