parking meters in Santo Domingo - beginning of the end

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Terrible development this, parking meters to be installed in Santo Domingo. It will remind gringos of back home, which is not likely why they left to visit the DR. There is hope since it strikes me as highly unlikely that the devices will be maintained any better than DR public telephones, traffic signals, roadways, or sidewalks.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I can just see the headlines 3-5 months after they install these meters....

Cars being booted before time runs out to increase city revenue.

Coruption stems from parking meters as police accept brides so not to boot cars...

...and 500 pesos to get the boot removed yeah right! we all know it will end up costing some poor soul who deposited money into a broken meter more money and time then that!!! Especially after they pay off everyone involved and by then only to find their stereo stolen...

Just when people are understanding and learning the constantly transporation pattern changes they through this wrench in the mix...

how sad...

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Who remembers that picture

That started off with a guy cutting the tops off of parking meters??

That will be the new business here.

I'll give the meters about 4 months of life. they will be gone..

HB

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Less Than Four Months

I can agree with HB on this one, less than four months of life. What store owner or operator would put up with a meter outside his business or resident with one outside his home. They'll come down as fast as they go up. Another well thought out municipal plan for Santo Domingo, some meter vendor gets his cut and gov't employee gets his and the contractor installing them will never get paid. Regards, PJT

Eco

Jan 14, 2002
www.ecology-clean.com
If you are interested in reality ask

I agree with all of you comenting.
But sure you can't even imagine how this came to efect and how it was woted for and why.
next week I will post details of this deal ( which was created in 1 minute ) seconds before being presented to sala capitular.
All people that are wanting to invest or invested then lost should read. Specialy foreigners.