Using My Visa......

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
When I am in the DR...and use my Visa card to make a purchase or to withdraw money...I get a rate of 17RD to my dollar. The rate is currently around 17.6 to 18 I know. Is this typical when using a Visa card to get screwed like this? It seems a little bit much. I made four transactions last time there for 32,500RD and that ends up costing me about $48USD if I figure the going rate at 17.5. If I figure it at 18RD to the dollar then I lose $96.

Is this normal and does anyone know a way around this?

Thanks much.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
From what I've seen, the banks give a lower rate than street vendors or Western Union (I always change money at the Western Union, as they give a better rate than any place I've seen). Only way I can figure around it is take the money off the card before you go. If you don't want to carry all that cash, take money orders.

that is how

they make millions each year, never leave home without it or your Mastercard (priceless), they are not.
That's the price you pay for the convenience of your cards. Actually .6 is not bad in comparison to some other country charges, it was 1.9 % in Portugal, so feel lucky

billshar

Jan 15, 2002
I use my US ATM (debit) card at Banco Popular all the time. Last week I got RD17.75/US $1. Naturally plus $1.25 fee.

But using as a debit card at the supermarket I only received RD 17.03 plus a fee of 2%.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Billshar...are you sure?

i just returned from there and also use Popular...I got a little over 17 to my dollar. Anyway, guess I will carry lots of cash.

paul

Jan 1, 2002
www.angelfire.com
eGold

Get an eGold account and fund your card from eGold which is figured in the actual bid ask price set by the market fixes then delivered via ATM in local currency
look here http://www.cashcards.net/rep/59046 or here http://www.e-gold.com/e-gold.asp?cid=568634

also these cards are not afiliated with any bank so there is no "paper-trail" and you can even use your DR1 forums id if you like or any other name you choose
lots of reasons to consider them while traveling-

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Never got the same rate twice

during our Apr 8-18 trip. Used 2 Visa cards, a Mastercard, and cash. Below are results.

Cash: SDQ Airport $17.40
P. Visa: Banco Popular branch in SFM $17.43 + US$ 6 fee
F. Visa: National Car Rental @ SDQ $17.40 + US$ 2 fee
Mastercard: Banco Popular branch in SFM $17.53 + no fee

I'll be sure to use the Mastercard more next time. :)

Swede

Free

Apr 28, 2002
I tried using my debit card at the airport. The machine could not identify my pin number. Thank goodness for Banco Popular.... I had no problems with taking money out. I will take travelers checks....