Just came back with Aeromar

mirage

Apr 15, 2002
I just came back June 30 and i use Aeromar round trip. They were pretty good except for one incident on the departing flight. The incident was actually to my advantage though! I had a 2 o clock flight from JFK into puerto plata. The flight was delayed until 11 pm because the flight that should have left to santo domingo at 9am never left! Something about the plane not showing up!! Anyway..the Santo Domingo flight was going to take our plane at 2pm and there was still availability on the flight headed into Santo Domingo and Aeromar changed it for those interested for free. Since we were headed to Bonao, that worked out great because the airport was only 45 minutes away compared to the three hour drive we would have had to do if we went into Puerto Plata!!! Plus we had the second row of seats with lots of leg room and sonce we travelled with a three year old that was an extra bonus! We wasted no time at the airport and we took off only 10 minutes later than expected. On the way back, we landed on the dot! The flight attendants going were from Iceland air but on the flight home, they were Dominican. On the way to DR, they even offered us cans of Presidente. A bonus for my husband! All said and done, we came across no major problems and I was satisfied with the service!

Last edited:

Free

Apr 28, 2002
Worst airline.....

I had the worst experience with aeromar. This was my first flight with aeromar. I experienced a four hour delay in miami. I was leaving from miami and going to santo domingo. We received no apology. The flight attendants were not dominican but were european. We were told that the pilot and the flight crew had trouble in customs. I've never heard of anything like that before. I was scheduled to leave on friday but I missed my flight. I was later told that flight never departed. Thank goodness I never made it to the airport. Saturday was completley booked. I left sunday thinking that I would have atleast a day in DR. I did not arrive in Santo Domingo until 10:30 pm. I was scheduled to leave the next day at noon. I've tried calling aeromar.. but constantly I'm kept on hold. No, i will not be flying on aeromar... Also, forgot to mention that, while I was waiting in line, there were four arguments in line...

mirage

Apr 15, 2002
wow

Wow, I would be pissed too if that happend to me. I guess every persons experience is different with them. You never know what to expect, huh?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Stroke of Luck but Crappy Service

You lucked out since you were going to Bonao and thus SDQ was a deal and early (in comparison) but still 9 hours late otherwise for those persons who did not want to go to SDQ but did want POP is terrible. Makes Air Transat look like owning a private jet.

Aeromar needs to get better organized.

I saw their 767 last Friday - the tail still has not been painted but it looked quite new and bright.

Flew AA SDQ to Miami today, we left 12 minutes early which is a first. 1/2 empty plane as well, and Miami airport was busy but not staggeringly so despite the 4th of July weekend traffic.

Transat

Jan 1, 2002
Air Atlanta flying for Aeromar

Hi i found this on the Air Atlanta web page!

Air Atlanta Icelandic has leased a Boeing 767-300ER TF-ATT to Aeromar, based in the Dominican Republic in the Caribbean, to operate scheduled services between the capital, Santo Domingo, and New York JFK and Miami.

Air Atlanta?s chief executive Hafthor Hafsteinsson says the B767 wet-lease with Aeromar is for 18 months. The B767-300ER first flight was on June 21st from JFK to Santo Domingo and involves flight deck crew and engineers but with Aeromar's own cabin crew working under an Atlanta purser in business and economy cabins.

Aeromar New York Manager is Bill Szymanski. Mr. Szymanski says that Aeromar typically reduces its frequencies following summer high season but the carrier plans to keep its schedule intact given the 18- month lease term.