Where is the best place to visit in Jarabacoa?

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Please help me find new places to visit in towns I haven't visited yet. I have seen Santo Domingo, Boca Chica, and Moca.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
there are lots of places

For example, everyone will tell you about the falls, the river rafting, the beautiful scenery. There is horseback riding, and golf, too.

You might enjoy Santiago with some history and a very typical, non- touristy style...good food, nice people, the ruins of the Old Santiago are located just a few minutes from the center of town...

San Jos? de las Matas is like Jarabacoa...

Up in San Juan de la Maguana there are the Indian Rock Circles, used before Columbus for religious(?) ceremonies.

Lots to see.

HB
bandit.gif

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
The southwest portion of the island is beautifull with some very interesting scenary. Driving form Santo Domingo you will cross the provinces of Azua and Bani. The area i very dessertic, but beautiful anyway. Bani has the largest sand dunes in the caribbean and a wonderfull beach for windsurfing called Salinas.

If you keep going west you will arrive in Barahona, which has beautifull beaches of pebbles rather than sand called Los Patos and El Quemaito. The San Rafael River is also worth a visit if you're in the area, as it is the town of Polo.

If you go to Santiago make sure you visit the E. Leon Jimenes cigar manufacturing plant. This is the oldest cigar producing company in the island and they offer a very nice tour.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Thank you

I normally go for only 4-5 days at a time. I have some friends/family in the capital. Do you think I would have enough time to go to Lago Enriquillo and back in a day? or better to go
to Pedernales y Bani and on the way back hit L. Enriquillo?

Gracias

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You will have a very sore bun!

That is a long haul. Try and overnight at one of the little hotels near Barahona...It will be worth the trip, that muchis for sure...

HB