Three pieces of advice: Moving to Dom Rep

beach2beach

Jul 7, 2002
What three (3) pieces of advice would you give to us. We (self, spouse, 3 kids, 3 dogs, 1 cat) are moving to S.D. for 3 or 4 years and will be living in the Las Cascagas(sp?) neighborhood. Have good jobs already. Kids going to Carol Morgan school. Need advice on what to bring or not; what's to look forward to or avoid in S.D., etc. Basically, what three things do you wish someone had told you before coming to Dom Rep?

lorismillie

Jul 7, 2002
congratulations!!!

hello,

congratulations on your moving, I want to do the same!! But we are still job searching and dont know where to look, where did you find your jobs??

Lori

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
First of all, learn where you are going to live

Cacicazgos--the Chieftans...nice place.

Spanish is important

Do not be too trusting at first. Dominicans are very, very curious, and will ask questions that would be major social mistakes in northern climes. So don't answer.

If you have service people, do not be overly trusting, until you really know a lot about them.( their 'real' names, where they live-you might not like it but you should know and file for future use exactly where they live) Dominican Grand Dames usually carry a ring of keys that would befit a night watchman around with them, since everything is locked down tight.

Get out of town!. Explore the island, and meet the people. Each area is different.

What to bring with you? Those "special" things you need: for the kitchen; for your desk; for the kids.

sun block at 30+; bug repellant-you are fresh meat; stomach medicine-Pepto, Imodium. tylonol and Aspirin. Bring the biggest you can find at Sam's Club...Some antibacterial salve for cuts and scrapes. Lots of Band-Aids Good sunglasses.
Bluejeans for the Kids and yourselves. Lots of T-shirts, socks

And when you get here you will realize that you could have packed the whole house and still needed something!

Good Luck, and keep us posted on your life!

HB
big.gif

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Health Care is quite reasonable in this country & SD has a better service than the North Coast I accept! However, I would suggest getting hold od a GOOD medical journal (we use the Merk Manual) so that you can 'Self Diagnose' before going to see the doctor. Apart from cutting out some unneccessary trips to the hospital, it will show the doctor you know a bit about the subject & stop him sending you to all his friends down the corridor (extra few pesos to each that you have to visit etc !!!!).

Don't be in a hurry to do ANYTHING!! Check everything out 3 or 4 times before making a decision! In most places you will be told what you WANT to hear, not what you OUGHT to hear, so be aware & check again & again until you are confident in YOUR decision. Oh yes, ..... ALWAYS haggle on prices or service - Dominicans expect it & respect those who try to get the best possible price!!

Good Luck & stay cool when your frustration level exceeds your normal expectation levels - you WILL slow down & learn to libe with it ,,,,,, Honest!! - Grahame.

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
I assume you will be moving all of your stuff to the island. If that is the case then I would highly recommend that you find a good customs agent to avoid paying taxes that you shouldn't be paying in the first place. Make sure you are present in the port's warehouse when they open your container (they will inventorize every item in there). If you don't do this a lot of your things may "dissapear", and around there no one knows anything.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If your moving company is worth their salt, they will provide a list of everything you ship. Make sure you have a copy when you get to your container in the DR. It might help.