My New Baby Girl...And Doctor Visits

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
My wife tells me she has to take our baby to the doctor monthly for a slew of vaccinations. This is supposed to go on for about eight months according to the doctor. This seems excessive to me. I am not in the country right now and so I have no way to manage this situation. I am leaving it up to my wife. I am always afraid of doctors in this country performing unnecessary procedures just to scam me, a known American, of money.

I would understand that there would be more vaccines necessary in this country as compared to my own. But again this seems excessive.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am investigating this with local clinics also.

Thanks.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Guess I better get with the program...

did my own looking and found that yes there are a lot of vaccines that take place. I just never heard my brothers or sisters talk about these when they were with newborns. And, I know that as a child I did not do that many.

Okay, time to put the work aside and do some reading about babies.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
The vaccination schedule for children may vary slightly from that used in the US and Canada, but not a great deal.

immchart02.jpg

The problem I often encountered was the limited availability of the vaccines; whereas in the US the DPT, Hib and Polio immunizations would be combined, in the DR each one may be administered separately, depending on availability. If you have a good pediatrician, this shouldn't happen.

Good luck (and yes, get reading!)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My daughter was 2 months old yesterday!

My wife took her to the Doctor yesterday for her "Check-Up" and 3 vaccinations.The cost was 1,500 pesos.The govervment provides the same vaccinations free to the public,but wives of "Rich Americans" don't go to public hospitals,or wait in line for 4 or 5 hours either! Or so my wife tells me!Dominicans take their children to the doctor whenever they have a fever!Part of the "Culture".Live with it.CRISCO

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Snuffy it seems excessive

but it is in your childs best interest. Or at least I'm trying to convince myself of that. My baby is 4months old this week and she's had 4 shots at a time at 2 and 4 months (not including the ones @ birth). She needs 2 more in two months and so on.
It is heart breaking whenever I take her to the Dr. but these are the things we HAVE to do for our children.

Try this immunization scheduler it also has answers to many questions regarding vaccines.

Immunization Scheduler

By the way congratulations to Mr Colon

Good Luck,

Carabella

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
In addition to the vaccines listed in the US schedules, Dominican children also get a meningitis shot. Local medical insurance will include most of the children's vaccines. Good local private medical insurance costs about RD$800 for a family, and you more than get your money's worth if you have to go through the vaccines schedule.