Divorce

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Depends. Is it a normal divorce or a quick divorce only allowed for non-residents by mutual consent? If a normal divorce, are the spouses in agreement or not? A quick divorce goes for approx. $1500 US.

lconstien

Aug 27, 2002
The $1,500 seems quite high, considering how little time and legal effort are needed to transact the divorce. The cost of my legal separation in Maryland was approximately $350 for the attorney and about $50 in various court fees. How do the costs break down for a DR divorce?

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
You are assuming that the procedure is the same in the US as in the D.R. and that the courts here are as efficient as in the U.S., that you don't need to make three trips to the court house and sweet talk the court clerk just to get the decree on time. These assumptions are wrong. $1500 is actually about the lowest fee in the market among reputable firms doing quick divorces.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Solution = Get your divorce in Maryland

lconstien said:
The $1,500 seems quite high, considering how little time and legal effort are needed to transact the divorce. The cost of my legal separation in Maryland was approximately $350 for the attorney and about $50 in various court fees. How do the costs break down for a DR divorce?

I would have to think that the DR is useful for a reason ( perhaps speed and simplicity) vs. Maryland ( also you mentioned the cost of a separation and not a divorce) thus leaving it up to the divorcers (?) to choose like any market priced product or service.

lconstien

Aug 27, 2002
OK, I will accept $1,500 as a fair figure. How do I find a reputable lawyer? How are the various fees paid (check, credit cards, traveler's checks, cash)? Are there attorneys willing to communicate by email to start making arrangements? Do the courts operate Monday through Friday each week? (What holidays are celebrated in DR when the courts might be closed?)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Well, there is only one choice

lconstien said:
OK, I will accept $1,500 as a fair figure. How do I find a reputable lawyer? How are the various fees paid (check, credit cards, traveler's checks, cash)? Are there attorneys willing to communicate by email to start making arrangements? Do the courts operate Monday through Friday each week? (What holidays are celebrated in DR when the courts might be closed?)

Good grief man, Fabio has been here since they invented law , answered your questions for free and is regarded as God of all law in the DR, who else are you going to e-mail? Who, I ask you, who?

By the way it is Fabio Guzman I mean not the Italian "Fabio" model/movie star with the long blonde hair, though not having met Mr. Guzman, he could look the same too.

lconstien

Aug 27, 2002
Could someone please provide me with specifics regarding the divorce proceedings in the Dominican Republic. How can I obtain the name of some reliable attorneys who handle these matters? Do I bring my checkbook, traveler's checks, or cash; or can I use my American Express card to make these payments? Are there certain days in November and December when the courts are not in session? I see a DR divorce as being useful and "doable," but I would like more specific information.