Working in Santo Domingo

Jocelyn

Apr 22, 2002
I have a question ......
I am moving to Santo Domingo in October, with my boyfriend. We are going there because he has managed to get a job. I ,on the other hand, am not so lucky! So, I wanted to ask all of you if you know how likely it will be for me to get a job whilst I am in Santo Domingo.
I work in Human Rights - mainly children's - and hope that I can carry on whilst in the DR. I have worked with refugees, IDP's, exploited children, NGO's, UNICEF, Peacekeeping missions, orphanages etc.
Does anyone have any idea about the existence of such places in Santo Domingo - and/or how they feel about employing foreigners?
I have gathered a lot of information from the internet and some friends in my line of work but I know no one who actually works over there - and have no idea where to look for possible job vacancies for which I could apply.
I hope hear from you!

Phil

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Hi Phil/Jocelyn (?),

My first thought would be to inquire through these organizations you mentioned before you leave. Maybe more of a chance of being placed in Sto Dgo through connections at home. Your Spanish will also be an important factor.

Good luck!

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Jocelyn...

If you want to become involved in Human Rights, you are definently going to the right place, as there are many violations. Your best bet is to go down there and see first hand for youself the issues, and what area you want to work with. There are definently a lot of organizations in the Santo Domingo area dealing with sugar cane industry, sweat shops, child prostitution and labour, education, and poverty in general. The pay will probably be minimal though, so don't go looking for high pay in such an area. It is great work, and I commend you. Good luck in your ventures!!

Jocelyn

Apr 22, 2002
Meredith....

Do you know how I could find out about some of these places you mentioned. Do you thing they would have web sites or would there be a way I could find their addresses and write to them?
I madea documentary on the Sugar Cane cutters in the DR a while ago - its a terrible situation.
Thanks for your encouragment!
Jocelyn

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Maybe

Why not contact UNICEF, the UN Woman's Organization, Human Rights Watch..all the organizations in their HOME OFFICES...If you are hired from outside of the DR you get a lot more money that if you are a local hire..

While there is plenty to do here in your field, there is not a lot of money spent doing it. Spanish will be a pre-requisite.

Cordially,

HB

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
You could try a company named ENTRENA. They are the ones that do all the training for the Peace Corps volunteers in the Dominican Republic and might be able to point you in the right direction.