Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Leaving the Unites States behind

I am looking at moving to the DR from the United States. Can anyone give me some advice as to how things cost, relative to the states. After a huge fight with the IRS and the divorce lawyers, I am looking for a little peace and quiet. HOw is the single scene? Are there other Americans living down there?

aka - shadley
    Post Thanks / Like

plenty of info about your questions on the site in the archives.

Run a few searches to get most of the info, and come back with any additional questions..

good luck

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

2 bedroom condo to rent is about 325 a month. Full time maid is 140 dollars a month live in. Way cheaper in the dr than the states. 2000 dollars a month and you will live well. 100 thousand in a bank CD and you will make almost that much.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You obviously don't know anything about our country, so why would you want to live there? Wow, some people amaze me...that's like saying hey can i be a part of your gang, but oh first, i'm just curious, do you guys commit any crimes or anything?

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Any other Americans?"

What world do you live in?

About 25,000 Americans are registered at the US Consulate.

Do that archive search and then get back to us...

It is a great place to live but do your homework first..

BTW, the do have extradition to the States...

HB

The thread finally snapped...
    Post Thanks / Like

Max, you'll be fine; a lot of us have moved to the U.S. not knowing 'jack' about it, so your move to the D.R. is no different than a Croatian moving to Hackensack. Your willingness to adjust will be the determinant factor. Things to adjust to are wide and varied; just remember that we are a poor nation, so don't expect all the amenities found in the states. Good and bad people just like anywhere else. However, the D.R. is the epicenter of all things 'fun'.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

One deciding to move to the U.S. and one deciding to move to D.R., there's not even a comparison...and for anyone to say plenty of people have moved to U.S. without knowing "anything" about it is a ridiculous statement. People know that here is the land of oppurtunity, not that's its easy here, but a poor person in U.S. is able to get a lot more than say a poor person in D.R. This person writing about moving to D.R. and not knowing anything about it to me is just stupid, and asking are there any americans there is another dumb question. Seeing as our country is just a hour and something from Miami, of course there will be some americans there, yes we are another country, but we're not on another planet...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default joseito

Nice post. I feel the same. I plan on moving to the DR to live out the remainder of my life at some point in the near future. I have been gathering information and laying the groundwork I need to survive in another country. I already have my residency set up and investment vehicles working. Just a matter of time.

Ya know what? I can always change my mind and move back. I always tell people "I have a clean mind, I change it all the time".

In the mean time it would have been an interesting experience!

Regards
    Escott

The thread finally snapped...
    Post Thanks / Like

Craig, I guess I oversimplified the situation. But to answer your direct questions: the single scene is marvelous; plenty of women. PLENTY, and 'nuff said about that. And as far as Americans living down there, the answer is "yes", plenty. But once there, I garantee that it would not be a big concern. Spanish is easy to learn; people are friendly; and a good time is had by all. Do not go overboard gathering information, for it may overwhelm you. Knowledge of dollar/peso exchange ratio and a relaxed attitude, coupled with common sense will make the day. But I repeat, willingness to adjust will be the determining factor. I promise that you'll make friends that will protect you from people trying to take advantage of you and your $$$.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default American in SDQ

Craig,

I have to ditto both Jazzcom and Joseito. Learn a little,
    relax, and have a GREAT time.

Peace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast