Leaving the Unites States behind

Craig Maxwell

Jul 10, 2002
I am looking at moving to the DR from the United States. Can anyone give me some advice as to how things cost, relative to the states. After a huge fight with the IRS and the divorce lawyers, I am looking for a little peace and quiet. HOw is the single scene? Are there other Americans living down there?

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
plenty of info about your questions on the site in the archives.

Run a few searches to get most of the info, and come back with any additional questions..

good luck

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
2 bedroom condo to rent is about 325 a month. Full time maid is 140 dollars a month live in. Way cheaper in the dr than the states. 2000 dollars a month and you will live well. 100 thousand in a bank CD and you will make almost that much.

arenas809

May 22, 2002
You obviously don't know anything about our country, so why would you want to live there? Wow, some people amaze me...that's like saying hey can i be a part of your gang, but oh first, i'm just curious, do you guys commit any crimes or anything?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Any other Americans?"

What world do you live in?

About 25,000 Americans are registered at the US Consulate.

Do that archive search and then get back to us...

It is a great place to live but do your homework first..

BTW, the do have extradition to the States...

HB
cart127.gif

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
Max, you'll be fine; a lot of us have moved to the U.S. not knowing 'jack' about it, so your move to the D.R. is no different than a Croatian moving to Hackensack. Your willingness to adjust will be the determinant factor. Things to adjust to are wide and varied; just remember that we are a poor nation, so don't expect all the amenities found in the states. Good and bad people just like anywhere else. However, the D.R. is the epicenter of all things 'fun'.

arenas809

May 22, 2002
One deciding to move to the U.S. and one deciding to move to D.R., there's not even a comparison...and for anyone to say plenty of people have moved to U.S. without knowing "anything" about it is a ridiculous statement. People know that here is the land of oppurtunity, not that's its easy here, but a poor person in U.S. is able to get a lot more than say a poor person in D.R. This person writing about moving to D.R. and not knowing anything about it to me is just stupid, and asking are there any americans there is another dumb question. Seeing as our country is just a hour and something from Miami, of course there will be some americans there, yes we are another country, but we're not on another planet...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
joseito

Nice post. I feel the same. I plan on moving to the DR to live out the remainder of my life at some point in the near future. I have been gathering information and laying the groundwork I need to survive in another country. I already have my residency set up and investment vehicles working. Just a matter of time.

Ya know what? I can always change my mind and move back. I always tell people "I have a clean mind, I change it all the time".

In the mean time it would have been an interesting experience!

Regards
Escott

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
Craig, I guess I oversimplified the situation. But to answer your direct questions: the single scene is marvelous; plenty of women. PLENTY, and 'nuff said about that. And as far as Americans living down there, the answer is "yes", plenty. But once there, I garantee that it would not be a big concern. Spanish is easy to learn; people are friendly; and a good time is had by all. Do not go overboard gathering information, for it may overwhelm you. Knowledge of dollar/peso exchange ratio and a relaxed attitude, coupled with common sense will make the day. But I repeat, willingness to adjust will be the determining factor. I promise that you'll make friends that will protect you from people trying to take advantage of you and your $$$.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
American in SDQ

Craig,

I have to ditto both Jazzcom and Joseito. Learn a little,
relax, and have a GREAT time.

Peace

gunnarhelin

Jul 15, 2002
We're plenty who choose DR before our native country!
We have a small internetcafe in Jarabacoa, just mail
your questions, or visit. We'd be happy to help out!

Jarabacoa InterCafe /Lars (Sweden) / Willy (U.S) /Efraim (DR)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Craig...

Spend some time looking through this site and message board archives, I'm sure we have answered every question ever asked about the DR at one time or another.

This board is filled with people with expert knowledge of the DR, people that are "actually" living and working here right now.

Do your research then ask away.

arenas809 - What's more stupid? Asking or never asking?

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
So you want to be an Ex-pat? Life here can be VERY GOOD! But you need lots of patience, 3 wks for my phone and DSN line, 1 wk for electric, 4 wks for phone. I live in Barrio China, Hiana.
I also own a home in the Million area of the capital. The closer to the capital the faster things happen. Day to day, its very cheap here, all US$ @ month, electric= 20.00, Cable= 10.50,phone= 250.00, lots of calls home to NY, maid= 120.00. Food, furniture, clothes, the same or more as NY. Rent can go from $250. To $ 2500. depend on where you want to live. in the capital, you usually have 24hr water and elect, away from the capital, you need an inverter, water tanks and pumps. Oh yeah, Major appliances are way more $$ here, and just because it says GE, don't mean it's so, I bought mine in the states and shipped them in. The are outstanding places to live for nightlife and lifestyle around the island. I have to stay close to the capital because I work in the free trade zone. TimHollis@MSN.com

love da DR

Aug 1, 2002
To ask or not to ask that is the question?

Craig,

While I can be of no specific assistance to you with respect to
your question, I would encourage you to ask as many questions
that come to mind as you wish, just think if you had not asked your original question you may not have been guided in the direction of the many resources which exist on this site.
As for those who believe that an extranjero asking questions about a place that perhaps he has never laid eyes upon before is in some way vapid , those people should practice patience and understanding prior to excoriating someone for asking questions.

GIVE THE GUY A BREAK.