DR Prostitution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Last year I posted about a conference at City College about what is mean to be Dominican. Frank Moya Pons spoke at the conference and one of the many things he spoke about was there were 150,000 Dominican women involved in prostitution in other countries. Some on this board felt that number was too high. DR1.com had a news brief yesterday with 100,000 overseas and 90,000 in the country catering to tourists. They left out the number of those who cater to Dominicans within the DR.

I do not want to criticize individuals, but wonder if anyone has some ideas why such numbers of women choose to prostitute in such a religiously conservative country? The DR is ranked 4th in the world behind much larger, more populated countries. Per capita the DR, may be #1.

Let's hope for a serious discussion.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Perhaps because we are #3 in HIV cases?

The problems of prostitution are just a reflection of the economic chaos, and the desperation of many women to feed their families.

There are stories of many women getting their man in Switzerland, Germany or Austria, and living high on the hog forever after. That is enough to stimulate others to follow the same course.

One of the major problems is, of course, the spread of HIV among the heterosexual population thru unprotected sex with prostitutes. Remember that report from last week that 74% of the HIV population in the States did not think that they were HIV Positive until tested? Even tho they were leading the lifestyle that was the riskiest for contamination? The bullet proof theory of sex...

There was an article in one of the August 15, 1995,6,7 8??? edition of LIFE magazine about AIDS in Haiti...find it and read it!

HB
cart127.gif

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Let me go "Way Out" on my "Limb" once again!

...and say that I bet that I know more about prostitution,and therefore "Prostitutes" than "Hillbilly"!(Note to Tom F,This country is for the most part not Religious,or conservative!Just "saying" you are a "Catholic"doesn't change reality!)"HB" although economic hardship does play a part in a womans decision to "Sell Herself",most of the prostitutes I know(about 90,000 in the DR!)are just lazy and like to buy clothes,cell phones,and gold chains with their money!They drink a lot of beer,and many like drugs. They still live in shacks,and their kids recieve little benefit from their mothers choosen lifestyle!As we have discussed here before,the definition of a "Prostitute" in the DR is very ambiguous.It should,or could,include everyone from "Duarte" street whore,to Catolic University student with "beeper and cell phone" who lives in Piantini,to the "Promotora" who is selling a "little" on the side to make ends meet! The figure of 100,000 is off by a factor of( )you pick a number!CRISCO

nancyh

Jan 13, 2002
Thank you AmbiorixPaulino for a word of sanity. Prostitution shouldn't even be a crime- it is a trade and should be treated as such. But not in a 3rd world country of course - they have lots of developing to do first in other areas. If we could outlaw religions in our world, who initiate wars and social strife, we would move forward as a caring compassionate species.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
nancyh said:
Thank you AmbiorixPaulino for a word of sanity. Prostitution shouldn't even be a crime- it is a trade and should be treated as such. But not in a 3rd world country of course - they have lots of developing to do first in other areas. If we could outlaw religions in our world, who initiate wars and social strife, we would move forward as a caring compassionate species.
Nancyh,
Outlaw religions?Could you please explain what you are talking about?By the way...most wars and social strife develops not as a result of religion but greed(money).And that variable(money) is what everything revolves around and ultimately comes back to----including the topic of this thread.
BTW..we will never develop into a caring and compasionate species as a whole(for explianation please see above).
ILoveDR

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This topic was dead and buried last July!

"Nancyh" is just looking around for a "Topic"! She is an obvious "IDIOT", so lets not legitimize her idiocy with a response!COLON

scaramooch

Dumb as a box of rocks!
Oct 1, 2002
Prostitution was created by God for the Dominicans. No Dominican would entertain the idea of banging the same "muff" forever. When a Dominican gets married it isn't a week later he is back to his favorite cat house banging the new chick that just cameto work in to the place.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Tom F. said:

I do not want to criticize individuals, but wonder if anyone has some ideas why such numbers of women choose to prostitute in such a religiously conservative country?

Who ever said that the Dominican Republic is a religiously conservative country? It is widely understood that the country as a whole is overrun by corruption, greed, prostitution and other vices. I don't consider "religion" to be something that condones these things. As a Baptist missionary and a follower of the Bible, I believe that if a persons "conversion" is not evidenced by a change of life, there is great reason to doubt the conversion experience. It is quite common in our day for someone to call themselves a "Christian" and yet live in such a way that would make the devil himself blush with shame and yes, there are "Catholics" in the Dominican Republic that number among those.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Re: DR Prostitution

lhtown said:

Who ever said that the Dominican Republic is a religiously conservative country? It is widely understood that the country as a whole is overrun by corruption, greed, prostitution and other vices. I don't consider "religion" to be something that condones these things. As a Baptist missionary and a follower of the Bible, I believe that if a persons "conversion" is not evidenced by a change of life, there is great reason to doubt the conversion experience. It is quite common in our day for someone to call themselves a "Christian" and yet live in such a way that would make the devil himself blush with shame and yes, there are "Catholics" in the Dominican Republic that number among those.

Spoken like a typical Christian!
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!"
"Judge not yest ye be judged!"

Tony C.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Re: Re: Re: DR Prostitution

Tony C said:

Spoken like a typical Christian!
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!"
"Judge not yest ye be judged!"

Tony C.

May the dog who has been hit please squeal?

Silly, Christians don't claim perfection.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Robert, can I punch him out?

scaramooch said:
Prostitution was created by God for the Dominicans. No Dominican would entertain the idea of banging the same "muff" forever. When a Dominican gets married it isn't a week later he is back to his favorite cat house banging the new chick that just cameto work in to the place.

Thank you very much for insulting some of my friends. I assure you your comments are most unwelcome and quite false.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
all welcome...hookers included

As a Christian myself, I agree with lhtown that not everyone who calls himself a "Christian" is really a Christian. By the way, for all the talking WE do, God does have the final say--he knows exactly what WE do and he sure is going to let us know what he saw, one day!
On the other hand, churches are meant to collect sinners (since we all are anyway). Churches and Christians are not models of perfection--just examples of how love can transform lives, how grace exists and performs, how no matter what you do or who you are, peace is available to you.
Once a person is tuned into God, what he is doing and the work he performs, it is a lot easier to understand your role as a believer. You start to recognize the gifts he gave you. You look around and see what he is doing and how you fit into his plans. You make the connection that you are here for a purpose and you get to the real work of being a believer! That's called WALKING the walk and not just talking the talk!
As far as how this applies to the conversation, I don't think the DR is a conservative country either! I do know that even if there were 3 billion hookers in that country, they would all be welcome by God, if they are looking for a love-transformed life, grace, and peace.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If there were 3 Billion Hookers in this country.........

...........they would not only be welcomed by God,they would be welcomed by ME!,,,,,and "AZB",Golo,X-Man,Chris,Tony "C",AND A WHOLE HOST OF OTHER "DEVOUT".."Gentlemen of Leisure"! CRIS COLON

Status
Not open for further replies.