Punta Rucia

Susu

May 13, 2002
I would like to know how is Punta Rucia? Is it still a peaceful place to be as I 've heard? How can I get there? Are there any guaguas? Places you recommend to stay/eat etc.

Saludos,

Susu

pascal

Jan 14, 2002
beautiful but wild place...

Went there in June on a Sunday for a day at the beach, the quite place which I had experienced mostly in December was packed this time. Hardly any tourists though like in the whole country it was very slow but they were a lot of locies. They are boat trip organised at the beach and lots of places cooking fresh fish.
I can't personnaly stand Ponta Rucia after 4.00 pm , if the repellent helps fight the mosquitos and it doesn't work for me in Ponta Rucia there is nothing I know to fight the gegenes (I am not sure about the spelling ) .

There are a couple of basic hotels which I believe are run by German people. There is also a decent retaurant in 'town ', I would suggest however the fresh fish on the beach at least you know where it comes from.

I am not sure there are guaguas going there , I have seen a few buses from local tour operator transporting dominicans. The road hasn't improved over years althought there is a portion where works have started.

I like the place for a day at the beach and leave as early as possible in the afternoon.

Pascal

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That is "my" beach

For nearly 40 years we have been going to Punta Ruc?a. At first it required a 4 x 4 to get out if it rained, then I got some snow chains and that worked, then a series of Land Rovers...nowadays we usually dont have any problems, and it seems that they are fixing the road.

As far as I know, there are no regular trips scheduled to Puntsa Ruc?a, but it seems that the Germans do have a tour package from hotels in the POP area. For so many $$, they take you to P.R., you go out to Cayo Arena in a boat, eat drink and dance and come back all sun burned.

There used to be a Canadian there with a beautiful villa that he rented...have to find out about that...

It is a very beautiful place, but for me it was better twenty yuears ago before the Germans and French got there to bring in tourists....Now part of it stinks of gasoline and oil.

Hb, Punta Ruc?a veteran...