900 Dominicans Denied Visas for World Youth Day

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
While they weren't the only youth denied visas to Canada to take part in the World Youth Day events being held in Toronto, it was interesting to note that in the small article in our local paper the Dominican contingent was the only nationality refused visas for which numbers were given.
Kinda makes you wonder doesn't it????
320,000 youths are expected to converge on Toronto soon for the celebrations for which the Pope has said he will attend. Too bad the DR young people will not have the opportunity to participate and see our beautiful country. While no reason was given for the refused visas in the article those of us who have had dealings with the process have to assume it is because of the 85% (as per consulate staff figures) who don't return to the DR after their visa has expired. Seems like the Dominicans who are successful in obtaining visas have closed the door to their own by their actions.

Jodi

Jan 2, 2002
Just for the record...my Dominican mother in law just obtained a visitor visa to come to Canada. We just found out last night! She may, in fact, be able to get here in time for the Pope's visit.

Here is an excerpt for The Toronto Star dated July 9th:

OTTAWA (CP) - Federal Immigration staff followed standard procedures in rejecting visa applications from several hundred pilgrims who wanted to see the Pope in Toronto this month, a spokeswoman said today.
More than 900 pilgrims from the Dominican Republic were set to travel to Canada for World Youth Day but instead had their visa applications rejected, many for financial reasons.

However, visas were approved for more than 1,800 of their countrymen who met Canada's requirements such as providing proof of their intentions to return home after the event, said Susan Scarlett, spokeswoman for Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
( Times the Normal Volume

Jodi said:
However, visas were approved for more than 1,800 of their countrymen who met Canada's requirements such as providing proof of their intentions to return home after the event, said Susan Scarlett, spokeswoman for Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

In 1999 Canada approved 202 visitors visa from the DR ( in contrast to over 220,000 visitors from Canada to the DR, so 1,800 is a massive volume by comparison. And a 2/3 (1,800 or 2,700) approval rate is probably about 66.5% points higher than the normal approval rate.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Would they return home

Do you really think that they care about World Youth Day, or do they just want to get to Canada?

These stats were not created in a vacuum, they know why they deny Dominicans.

Terrorists on the other hand could probably have shown enough financial stability to be able to enter Canada as a visitor.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What a shame they don't test for mental stability as they do for financial.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Anna Coniglio said:
What a shame they don't test for mental stability as they do for financial.

If they did nobody would be able to get in for 2 very good reasons.

1. No SANE person would want to go to Canada!

2. No SANE person would want to see the Pope!

The Catholic Church organizing a "World Youth Day?" Doesn't anybody see the irony and danger in this?
I guess they will never learn!

Tony C.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Sane People

I guess that sane people would only want to go to the crime infested US.

Tony C. have you ever been to Canada? I am assuming that you live in the US. Many Americans would love to live in Canada but cannot, just ask Ruben Carter.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Tony hates everything. Just ask him. Tony can you name ten things you like about anything not including young dominican women?

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
I think that is awful that the dominicans can not get visas. I know that each church in the Dominican has to sponsor 2 or 3 individuals to attend. They are going because they want to see the pope, not because they want to stay. Why do so many people have such a low faith in Dominicans and their intentions?

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Meredith

For the sins of a few, many are punished. Actually, the fact that 1800 were approved is amazing. I would wager that under normal conditions less than 5% if that, get approved. Might be interesting to know what the figures were when they held it in the US a few years back.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Stats tell the tale Merideth

Most of the Dominicans that get visas never return to their country. Immigration statistics proves this.

You say that they are going to see the Pope, however, you can see him alot better on television than you will be able to in person.

Once they get a taste of life in Canada, no doubt that they will want to stay.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
World Youth Day is about meeting the pope, but that is not the whole experience. You will meet so many people from around the world, with you could say similar interests. There are multicultural festivals taking place and lots more activities and events. It is an amazing experience in general.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Yes you are right, however,

Once they see how Canadian European and American youth live, they will find some way to circumvent the immigration process.

Yes there will be many who overstay their visas. If I was a poor Dominican I would find a way to come to Canada and this is a perfect opportunity.

Re: Yes you are right, however,

Fred said:
Once they see how Canadian European and American youth live, they will find some way to circumvent the immigration process.

Yes there will be many who overstay their visas. If I was a poor Dominican I would find a way to come to Canada and this is a perfect opportunity.

Many would no doubt at all, except Tony.

Alain

Feb 12, 2002
Talking about the Pope......

You talk about Dominicans who won't be able to attend....

Did any of you ever thought that the Pope himself might not be able to attend?

It's a mystery to me how come a man in such terrible health would even consider or be allowed to board a plane and travel across the earth???????? Someone wake up!!!!! His health seems to be failing more and more every time they show him on TV....

Chances are they'll have to bring him to intensive care at the nearest hospital as the plane lands. Ambulances and medical staff will probably have to follow him throughout the trip in Canada

I have nothing against him personally, but he should decidedly resign. His health doesn't allow the exercise of such public duty.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Totally off the topic, Alain, but it's true! I think the Pope's days are seriously numbered. Maybe the Catholic Church's problems rot from the head down considering he is no leader in the state he is in??? The news reported in Europe this spring was that he was not even told all of the details about the sex scandals in the U.S. because advisors believed he either could not understand it or were scared of the effects of the stress. Yeah, strong leader there.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I for one would never consider moving to Canada. I have only been to Montreal, Quebec and Toronto. I am sure that there are other places in Canada that are lovely I haven't seen. I love Montreal for one weekend a year during the summer. I couldnt imagine even ONE WEEKEND in the WInter let alone living there!

It is freakin cold there. Don't you Cannucks know that?

LOL

Escott

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Jazzy baby, where do you live again? How much different do you think the weather in southern Ontario is from New York?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
info

During winter here in the lovely Comox vallley on Vancouver Island we can golf all year around, or ride a motorcycle. On occasion in the winter the temperature does go below freezing but certaintly not as often as anywhere in New York State. Last winter the had more snow in Georgia than we had. We have plenty of U'alls (Yankees)living here because of the great winters, great skiing, fishing, lack of crime, pollution, no blizzards, tornados, floods, droughts...the list goes on. Certainly we have problems here, but other than too much rain in the winter, it's preety damn nice.
There are always things to complain about when you deal with immigration. My wife was also denied a vistor visa before we got married, and she had a healthy bank accouint, several houses, and a business. We were pissed at the time but when you look at the reasons through someone elses eyes, you can understand the high rate of refusal.
http://www.canadaenespanol.com/isla_de_vancouver_island.htm
para espaneol

Last edited: