what is the name of that juice?

ms.mathilda

May 5, 2002
I had the most fantastic tasting fresh squeezed juice in POP last week. I cannot remember the name of it but it was brownish/pink in color and was something like tangadora I think. I may be way off on the name. What is this fruit and can it be purchased in the US?
Mattie

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Did you see it being prepared? You say "squeezed" like, I assume, you would do an orange. But are you sure it wasn't prepared in a blender? Are you sure it was the juice of just one fruit?

Last edited:

ms.mathilda

May 5, 2002
come to think of it

i may have been prepared in a blender. I didn't see it being made. I'm not sure if it was just the juice from one fruit.it probably wasn't considering the color was different than any fruit I've ever seen. The only thing I can remember is the name sounded like tangerine (thats how i remebered the spanish name) but I think it is tangaorda or something like that..... I just know it wasn't in my spanish dictionary!

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Yes, it's tamarindo. My favourite juice too! They taste almost like candy when you taste them off the tree. They are brown in colour, in a shell and you suck on them. They are so goood!
Not sure, if it can be purchased in the U.S. I know that I have never found it in Canada :(

ms.mathilda

May 5, 2002
TAMARINDO!!!

Yes, that is the juice! Thank You Meredith and Sunny!
It is the best juice ever. I don't think I will be able to find the fruit here however. Oh, well I'll be sure to drink a lot of it when I'm there again.
Mattie

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
In English it's called "tamarind". Don't drink too much - it's meant to make you sleepy!

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Don't worry about it, there is hope!

I don't know where you live, Ms. Mathilda, but here in Boston Goya foods sells a big line of products, one being lots of tropical juices, including Tamarind. They are only about 60 cents a can I think. If you can't find them in a big supermarket with a big 'ethnic' food aisle, try a Latino part of your city (if it exists).

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hey Bugster, where in Boston do you go for a good selection of frozen Goya fruit juices? I have been looking for frozen guanabana up here in my whereabouts.....with no luck...although i haven't tried toooo hard. Stop & Rob-you-blind doesn't seem to carry them.

thanks for your cooperation,
mondongo

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
In the Dominican Republic, all of the juices can be purchased either as a concentrate or as juice in a box. I'm sure what you drank was not "fresh squeezed", but (most likely) prepared by mixing water with the concentrate or (possibly) poured from a container.

Preparing a glass of tamarindo juice is not as simple as squeezing an orange. Here, fyi, is what is involved in preparaing from scratch a tamarind drink of 4 servings:

Ingredients: 1/4 pound tamarinds (peeled); 4 cups water; 1 cup sugar, or to taste; ice

Directions: 1. Mix the tamarainds with the water and beat carefully with a wire wisk (or fork) until the pulp separates from the seeds. Strain through a sieve. 2. Add the sugar and mix well until disolved. 3. Pour into tall glasses filled with ice.

I think you can see why the drink you enjoyed was probably preprepared.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Tamarindo

Scientific name: tamarindus indica

Probably originates from oriental Africa. Found throuhout the tropical world. The fruit has a large peapod appearance. A tree usually produces fruit two or three times a year and can live up to 200 years.

Excellent source of the minerals; Potassium, Calcium and Iron.

Mike_M

Feb 23, 2002
tamarind

I believe tamarind originates in the east indies where it is used a lot in curries. the fresh paste and dries fruit can be found in Indian food stores.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ms. mathilda, I checked the supermarket in Sosua that I go to. It has tamarindo juice, ready to drink, in cans and frozen concentrate by Bon in bottles. With the concentrate, you mix one bottle of concentrate with 4 bottles of water. I know nothing about what is in the cans, but juice made from the Bon concentrates is very good; tastes like fresh juice. This is most likely what you had.

ms.mathilda

May 5, 2002
I found it!

This morning I went on my search for Tamarind juice. I found it in the ethnic foods aisle of a grocery store here in buffalo. It is Goya and nectar in a can. I'll let you know how it compares to Bon I probably had in the DR.
thanks to everyone who replied!
Mattie

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And the local preparations are an excellent source for->

Parasites!!

I love tamarindo!. But I have been exceedingly lucky, so far. Yun-yunes are delicious...The fruit is gooey and good to eat, but very hard on your teeth...

I would recommend the Bon or other brand of concentrate, but nothing from the street.

HB, the all wise....

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Glad you found it. Hope it matches the taste you enjoyed in the DR.

Asked my wife about Bon concentrate. She is the juice drinker in our house and uses Bon concentrates. She told me that she always adds a little orange juice because she thinks the Bon juice is too sweet. Adding a little tartness cuts the sweetness a bit.

Dominican tend to use quite a bit of sugar, as you probably observed on your visit.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Here is Northern Virginia if you go to most Shopper Warehouse Super Markets you can find fresh Tamarid in their pods and all, plus in the frozen section of the super there is Tamarind pulp.

I hope what you found it yummy!