market for computer professionals?

membruce

Jul 14, 2002
Dose anyone know what the market is like in the DR for computer professionals? I may be interested in starting a consulting firm. I am a pilot and can fly to surrounding islands to enlarge my market.

Thanks,
Bruce Campbell

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
GOOD computer professional can always make a living here - depends on where you are wanting to live, how fast you want to move & how much money you have to throw away!!

Immediate answer ...... DON'T start ANY form of business here until you have studied the culture, seen how the locals operate & checked out all the ways you can be ripped off. Excuses, deception & corruption abound here - & NOT just by Dominicans!! Dominicans have their eye to the main chance true, but the ex-pat community have more than their fair share of rogues too!!!

I have a flying friend up here on the north coast who knows many of the problems of flying round the islands. I have quite a few Business contacts here too. IF you are thinking of setting up on the north coast, by all means drop me an e-mail but first visit the archives of this board using the key words "Setting up a business". You will be amazed at the amount of times this subject has been raised!

Good luck - Grahame.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
BushBaby said:
GOOD computer professional can always make a living here - depends on where you are wanting to live, how fast you want to move & how much money you have to throw away!!

Immediate answer ...... DON'T start ANY form of business here until you have studied the culture, seen how the locals operate & checked out all the ways you can be ripped off. Excuses, deception & corruption abound here - & NOT just by Dominicans!! Dominicans have their eye to the main chance true, but the ex-pat community have more than their fair share of rogues too!!!

I would have to say that I concur with that response. Personally, I would rather be raked across hot coals than take my computer to a shop and leave it there for repair. Why? Because I have a good computer and want to keep it that way. I suppose there are some trustworthy shops, but there aren't any I have come to trust yet.

membruce

Jul 14, 2002
BushBaby:
That contact would be great! Right now its just in the contemplation stages. I will defiantly send you an email though. Thanks!

membruce

Jul 14, 2002
My skills aren't rally alined with the computer shop, although I could do that. I work 2 basic areas. The first is business software and network systems. The other is development of embedded systems and instrumentation. I don't think that there will be much need for the later, but possibly there is a need for business solutions.

Most of the instrumentation work is done long distance hear in the states anyhow. I would just need a good Internet connection and I could probably do 70% from within the DR.

There is one other option. I mentioned doing business in Haiti. I have a part time company that imports handcrafts from Haiti to the US. I eater reinvest the profits in the company or support some program in Haiti. I do it for fun and for the service. I am pretty shore that if I did that full time, I could make a pretty good living at it. The DR would be a good place to operate because most of the problems are on the Haiti side. Not to mention the DR export opportunities.

Thanks again,
Bruce