Auto Import

jim mann

May 9, 2002
DOES ANYONE HAVE INFORMATION ON DUTY FOR PICK UP WHEN MOVING TO DR. ITS A 2001 CHEVY 1500. HEARD ALL KINDS OF STORIES. DR COUNSEL IN MIAMI SAYS ITS FREE OF DUTY, WITH THIS LITTLE GRIN, 3 SHIPPERS ALL SAY DIFFERENTS THINGS.
THANKS, JIM
PS: THE MIAMI COUSEL LOOKS LIKE AN OLD HOUSE IN SAN CRISTOBAL.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Jim,

I hate to rain on the parade, but from my experience, I would sell it in the US and bring the money here without a question. IF you have experience or have a good Dominican friend who is very experienced with Dominican customs it might be different.

That said, I don't know your case specifically, but would image you would qualify for an exemption. Please realize though that just because you don't pay taxes doesn't mean it will be faster or cheaper. In fact, you might expect the exact opposite. I waited four months for a household shipment(did not involve a vehicle). It was almost tax free, but the exemption ended up costing me more than the taxes would have been.

Also, you said it was a Chevy. I once had a US made vehicle(GMC Safari). Finding parts was difficult and expensive and it needed a lot of them. From now on, I am sticking to popular vehicles such as Toyota, Mitsubishi and Nissan. If you were to sell your truck for say, $25,000, you could in turn buy a late model Mitsubishi Montero(the most popular SUV here) and be happily getting into wrecks while your other vehicle would have been sitting on the dock sunning itself-perhaps for months.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No personal experience, but based on what I have heard from others it can be very expensive, time consuming and frustrating to bring a "duty free" personal vehicle to the Dominican Republic.
You should seriously consider Ihtown's advice.

jim mann

May 9, 2002
THANKS TO ALL

CALLED A PERSON IN THE PRD PARTY, WILL GET TRUCK IN FOR $2000. US, BUT DON'T TELL ANYONE ABOUT THIS THEY SAY. OK BY ME. JIM

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hope you aren't paying anything until after the truck is delivered to you and the keys are in your hand.

jim mann

May 9, 2002
YES

YES, THATS THE AGREEMENT, AS THIS PERSON IS VERY RELIABLE, HARD TO BELIEVE (PRD), TRIED A PLD FRIEND AND HE SAID GO TO PRD AS THEY SEEM TO NEED THE MONEY :).
THANKS TO ALL FOR THE REPLIES.
PS: ALL PARTS ARE AVAILABLE AT THE CHEVY DEALER IN SANTO DOMINGO, OR THRU PARTS BOOKS IN US.