Looking for healthcare info!!!

Linda C

May 17, 2002
Family of 4 moving to Juan Dolio, from the U.S., in the next couple of months. Are there any good medical clinics in Juan Dolio or surrounding areas and, if so, what are the names/phone numbers of the clinics? How about Pediatricians? The company my husband works for does not provide health insurance. Should we purchase health insurance in the U.S. for coverage abroad or purchase it in the DR? Any names/numbers of health insurance companies there? Thanks in advance for any responses!!!!

Linda C.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Juan Dolio is less than 40 minutes from Santo Domingo, so your best health care options will be in the capital city. You should purchase local health care coverage once you arrive to the country and for major health care problems -- such as cancer treatment -- you would be best to maintain your US health care insurance.

Linda C

May 17, 2002
What are the names of the local health insurance companies that are the most widely accepted in the DR?

Linda C.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Linda C, no question that the best health care is in Santo Domingo. When I lived in Samana and now that I live in Sosua my wife and I have most of our doctors in Santo Domingo, even though there are doctors closer to home.

But we do have a doctor nearby that we can go to for the common ailments. Especially since you have two chldren, you may want to consider doing the same. I believe that MommC, a frequent contributor to the board, lives in Juan Dolio. Find one of her posts and click on the email or PM button and send her a message to find out where she goes for the "common" ailments. But before doing so, I'd suggestg you click on the "user cp" button at the top of the page, then click on Edit Options. Check "yes" for email and PM so that people you send messages to can respond to you.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Linda C

If you will send me an email,I will be happy to tell you about the Health Care Center were I am employed.We have many English speaking, US Board Certified Doctors here.Tom

Linda C

May 17, 2002
Thanks to all for your replies! Sounds like Santo Domingo is the place to go for healthcare needs. Still waiting to hear the names of good health insurance companies in the DR though. Tom, I'm new to this forum, how do I e-mail you? Thanks,

Linda C.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Linda C, to email Tom (Criss Colon) find the email or PM button under his post. Click on that an a form on which to write your message will appear. Once you have clicked on the button, it is just like sending any email.

You should also consider activating your email and/or PM buttons. Click on the "user cp" button at top of page, then click on "edit options". When that page appears, mark yes for email and PM (private message). that will enable others to contact you in the same way you will be contacting Tom.

Linda C

May 17, 2002
Thanks for the e-mail tips Ken. I'm kind of new to this forum. I have sent Tom an e-mail and he replied. Thanks again!!!!!

Linda C.