It's Incredible (condoms)

John

Jan 1, 2002
In a country that has so much prostitution and casual sex why is it so hard to find condoms to buy?
Ater spending half an hour looking through the shelves of pharmaceutical products in La Sirena I had to ask someone in my excellent Spanish ?Donde estan los condons? Only to be directed to the actual pharmacy counter where there was a massive queue.
This evening I have just come back from my local pharmacy and am amazed that even there they keep the condoms hiden away, behind the counter on the floor and have a terrible selection.
I wanted to ask the young lady helping me which condoms were best, but noticed that she was already pregnant (seven months, she told me), and so I felt that she would probably not be the best judge of safe sex products:>)
Can someone please tell why condoms are so hard to come by? Am I looking in the wrong places or do Dominicans buy them by mail order:>)

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Why are they so Hard to find? Thats is easy to answer. Nobody uses them. Birthcontrol pills are sold over the counter for the people with at least half a brain. The others are called Mami!

Tony C.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
The others are called Mami!

Annnnddd...that's why so many of them called Mami. Condoms are readily available at EVERY PHARMACY. Even sold in singles. Pretty soon, Tony C. you'll be preaching to people that they shouldn't wear them - that' how far over to the Dark Side you've gone. Scary.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I disagree with the OP. One of my biggest complaints is that it is impossible to acquire an aspirin in a colmado ("this is not a pharmacy") whereas condoms are displayed for everyone to see even in the smallest chinchorro. Not that the latter is bad, on the contrary, but I'd appreciate if they sold both.

Carolina066

Jun 1, 2002
Thingas hard to come by in the DR

Any of you gals ever try to buy a box of tampons? Not sold in the grocery stores, though they sell a gazillion types of kotex, both domestic and foreign. I have found them at the farmacias in Santo Domingo, but only in very small packages, and then, they are under the counter (with the condoms?) and you have to ask for them. Tampons is one item I suggest that anyone coming to the DR for a while bring from home.
As for condoms: they are pretty much standard issue in the cabanas....they bring them with the soap and towels.

John

Jan 1, 2002
Cheers, I shall check out my local Colmado.
Concerning the Caba?as I was recently driven through one, (unfortunately we didn't stop) and was amazed at how they work. Car hidden in shuttered driveways with the payment made through deposit boxes so no one ever sees your face. How much do Caba?as cost?

Carolina066

Jun 1, 2002
cabanas

Depends on the place, locale and quality and cleanliness. They rent by the hour for less $20 US

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
Never been to a cabana and I don't think I ever will...something really tacky about it. As for condoms, I just bring them with me. I really don't trust the quality of the ones in DR and it's just better to be safe then sorry.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Jane J. said:

Annnnddd...that's why so many of them called Mami. Condoms are readily available at EVERY PHARMACY. Even sold in singles. Pretty soon, Tony C. you'll be preaching to people that they shouldn't wear them - that' how far over to the Dark Side you've gone. Scary.

Jane...You underestimate the power of the Dark Side!
Your moralizing has gotten tedious. Why do you think I wrote that the ones with less than half a brain are called Mami? Even when I take your side you still feel the need to climb up on your soapbox and try to say you are better than me! Well guess what? Your not. Not even close!

Tony C.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
cost of cabanas

Under 20$ an hour, where have you gone?

My fiance and I stayed at one from 10 pm until 9 am the next day and only paid around 400 pesos. We also ordered some food and beverage. It would have been something like $350 RD if we had arrived after midnight. It was very nice too, clean, with hot water and big tv.

The more expensive rooms have jacuzzi's but once our's didn't work. Another time it did work and actually had hot water, which is rare for a jazcuzzi in the DR...the only thing is that the AC is kept very cold and there is no way to regulate it, except by turning it off.

We just had a taxi drop us off inside the garage and then called for one the next morning, local calls were free.

I think they are a great alternative to some of the hotels, much less expensive, and if you're just looking for a place to crash so that you don't have to stay at relatives house it's perfect.

christina15152

Apr 25, 2002
christina15152.rocks.it
wow...

Tony C said:
Why are they so Hard to find? Thats is easy to answer. Nobody uses them. Birthcontrol pills are sold over the counter for the people with at least half a brain. The others are called Mami!

Tony C.
Ok, First of all... condoms not only protect women from becoming pregnant.. they protect from STD's.. and in the DR I believe that STD's are becoming a problem.. Where I live 5 years ago there was a major HIV/AIDS breakout where a man INTENTIONALY infected 50 or more girls with the HIV/AIDS virus. It really scares me that in the DR it is hard to find condoms. Here they pass them out in schools, and such for free. If something doesn't change with the quickness you could have a huge problema on your hands!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Tina" are you bored today?

This thread was dead 2 weeks ago.Why did you try to breath life into it again with you naive post?Every time you go to a Cabana in the DR,along with the tiny piece of cheap soap and the washcloth size towel, you get a handful of free condoms.Ignorant people from third world countries don't use condoms! "If you can't see it,it doesn't exist!" If people infected with HIV/Aids had big colorful red and yellow blisters that leaked foul smelling pus maybe the use of condoms would increase,barring that don't count on it! CRISCO,"CIWIFI"!