Bringing in medical supplies & Mao

JFM

Jul 17, 2002
Does anyone know if I will have a problem bringing in medical supplies and prescription drugs that I wish to donate to a clinic in the DR? My mother passed away and she had so many supplies that I wanted to put them to good use by donating them. I have a note from her doctor stating my intentions/purpose for having the medicines/supplies. American Airlines recommended the letter and said that they were uncertain if the DR would give me any problems when I entered the country. Also, I am returning to Mao to visit my sponsored child. For those who know Mao, is the restaurant Falare still open? Is it possible to buy any masks in Mao? Thank you in advance. I cannot wait to return to the DR after a 2 1/2 year absence!! This time, I will be visiting for 11 days and seeing more of the island!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Where will you be entering the country

If you can come into Santiago, perhaps I can clear the way a little bit. Send me an e-mail?
there are direct flights from MIA and NYC to STI (Santiago)

HB
soapbox.gif

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
I have brought 2 suitcases full of medical supplies last year, however that was before the tightened security of September 11. I brought over first aid kits, gloves, needles, dentistry equipment, birth control and more. I had no problem at all going through customs, but I don't know now. I wrapped everything up in clothing and blankets as well. There is no harm in trying, if it doesn't go through, you can at least send it home and try again next time! Good luck!! Medical supplies and medication is needed greatly, especially in the poorer barrios, that have community run hospitals. Good luck and have a great time!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A group of veterinarians from the US were in Samana recently to treat animals. In previous years other groups of vets and MDs have provided service there for a week. This year's group of vets had more trouble than previous groups in getting its supplies and equipment into the country. But they were bringing more than a partial suitcase full.

doslenguas

Jul 18, 2002
If anyone is knowledgeable about schools and (bilingual) teacher's salaries in DR, I would appreciate any information you are willing to share. It's time to depart the dirty shores of Texas! Thanks in advance...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Think you misunderstood my suggestion, doslenguas. You should start new threads with your questions (click on "new thread"). One of the things we try to avoid doing is hijack the thread started by someone else with a question or request.

doslenguas

Jul 18, 2002
Thanks for enlightening me on the protocol. It sure makes sense, otherwise it would be like attempting to communicate on a CB radio channel used by hordes of manic truckers high on speed...
As a former EMT with a few years of military and civilian hospital experience (as well as having owned a wholesale medical equipment company), I'm curious as to what the needs are there re: supplies. Quite a few medical facilities here used to donate equipment and material for non-profit facilities, especially those outside the U.S. All that was required was for someone to cover shipping expenses...