All told a pretty shitty week

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Starting with the passing of former president Balaguer.

Then it escalated when the godfather of my #1 grandson fell into a coma after being "successfully" operated on by Jos? Joaquin Puello at Clinica Abreu for a benign tumor...Get this: The Cl?nica Abreu-for all of its fame-does not have an MRI unit. So they take this young man (35), just operated on 48 hours beforehand, out of the ICU where he was talking and getting ready to go home, put him in an ambulance, go across town, take the MRI, then back to the ICU where he goes into a coma. Today they are burying him in Constanza...I wish we were in the STates...his wife and kids would have a wonderful case of malpractice...IMO, only.

then we got the news that one of our drivers had his house burn to the ground with one of his boys inside. The other., luckily, got out...Absolutely nothing left...We have been gathering clothes, old furniture, bedding, everything we can get our hands on for this poor fellow and his wife....

Yeah, I know, the good Lord throws us some nasty curves...but it still hurts, doesn't it??

Only good thing this week was that they caught the SOB that kidnapped and killed that little 5 yr old in California...

HB
soapbox.gif

harold

Mar 23, 2002
I'm sorry to here that! There is not much I can say! Sorry! Can you take the doctor to court? Best of Luck!

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Hilbilly

sorry to read all that.

i will be arriving in santiago on monday 22nd. i have old clothes i want to give away.

i will drive by the golf course with azb and drop them off with you. please feel free to do what you want with them.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
HB

That does sound like a really shitty week.

We have kids' clothes, shoes, etc. that we are disposing of. Is there anything that I can bring down in Oct that will be helpful?

Mainer

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
"shitty week"

H.B. It is hard to come by the proper words. What has happened is tragic and I can understand why you are heavyhearted. Wish you, your family, and friends well during this spell. Warmest regards, PJT

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Oh Hillbilly!
My heart goes out to you. So sorry. There are no words, except I'm very sorry.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Sorry to hear that HB. Sounds like a downturn, but bad times mean good times have to be coming soon. I will be in touch about bringing some stuff for that family.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
HB

Life brings tragedy our way but it get difficult to deal with when it seems like it is "raining" upon you.If it is any consolation,my heart goes out to you.I am sure that there will be many better days to come for you.God Bless.
ILoveDR

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thank you all!

The offers for the little boy that survived and his folks are much appreciated. He is5 yrs old, smallish. His Dad is only 5'7"and thin as a rail. Mom is a bit shorter and "wider"...

Not contemplating lawsuits, as I understand the situation. Just, Why the need for an MRI at that particular moment...??

HB
nono.gif

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Sorry HB, last month I had given out all of my old shoes and clothes to a local church.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
HB,
I just happen to have a five year old boy on the "taller" side. May find lots to bring. Are sweaters of any use. I know I find it hot all the time south of Georgia, but do residents ever get chilly???

Does anyone have any use for little girl clothes??

Also, what about toys for the boy. Up here it is Rescue Heros for boys, and Barbies for girls. Anything special that we can bring.

If we bring new toys, clothes, etc., do tags need to be off and packages opened to get through customs duty free???

Does the godfather have any family?

Thanks,
Mainer

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Clothes for the little boy etc

That would be great. Toys? Of course he would love them.

I just found out that he was saved by their little dog and all he is talking about is how he called and called for his brother buthe never came. He was found by the neighbors that broke down the front door, huddled by the wall with slight burns to his hands ears and shoulder. They couldn't get inside to the other one. M.E. said he died of asphixiation...

It is always a good idea to take off the tags before bringing anything new into the country...

HB, with thanks,
smile05.gif

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
That is one of the most heartbreaking stories I have ever heard.

My heart goes out to all of you involved.

CES

Jan 1, 2002
Cl?nica/ hospitals in the DR . . .

I would have responded to the Hillbilly's thread earlier but at the opportune time my PC was resisting all attempts to post messages to DR1. Our condolences to you and the extended family.

~ + ~

This past weekend Mrs. CES (*) received a phone call from SDQ (with a message that you'll remember the rest of your life, the second one for us). A member of the family had pasted away after being rushed to a cl?nica/ hospital. HB has made mention of the medical situation in the DR on several occasions and I would like to add my 2 centavos for what it's worth.

The patient (family member) was suffering from a long term degenerative condition that most likely had entered the terminal phase. What transpired with the care givers at the cl?nica has left the family in a very upset state of mind. Some of points are: unauthorized procedures, inappropriate procedures, botched attempts to perform a procedure, not properly responding to developing conditions and the most grievous, causing additional pain and suffering. The patient had received hospital care in the USA and had responded appropriately.

My point being? If you are going to travel to the DR and have an on going medical condition that requires special meds. then be sure to travel with a sufficient supply to last for the length of your planed stay AND any contingency that might arise. Most importantly you should be able to describe in detail the all the particulars of your medical condition. Also it's good idea to have all this information written down with the appropriate medical terminology. If you live full time in the DR then I hope you have found a doctor, MD. that you can trust with your life, literally.

regards,

. . . CES

(*) for the new visitors here that aren't familiar with Mrs. CES's bio: 20+ years as a medical records technician, last three yr. as assistant director for the medical records department of a medium sized hospital in N. California. An older brother that's a retired MD./ Surgeon. . .

Last edited:

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
Mr. HB,

I just got back from D.R. a few days ago, but only read your posting today. It saddens me deeply. My thoughts are with you and the affected families.

Jose?to

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sincerest thank yous to all that have responded

Either here or directly by e-mail. I have relayed many of your comments and they were appreciated.

As a final note: My son was married last Saturday. On Wednesday he went up to Constanza where Robustiano was from, and picked up a humongeous amount of flowers that Robustiano had ordered and paid for, way before the medical emergency that took his life. He was to have been Best Man.

How very bitter sweet that the whole area at the beach was blessed with the fragrances of those flowers......

HB