working as a dentist

zeev

Jul 20, 2002
I would like to find out if I'd be able to work as a dentist in D.R. I have a diploma from Russia and was not able to use it in Canada, Is there anyone who knows if it would be legal for me to work in D.R, and if so, would there be a demand for a Russian/English speaking Dentist in Purto Plata area? Thanks for any comments!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You should expect to have trouble. They have been cracking down on foreign doctors and dentists who set up a practice without a Dominican license. Partly this is due to pressure by Dominican health professionals who saw their patients going to the foreign doctors and dentists.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Foreign Doctors and Dentists

While I have experienced some recent tragedy, I would never seek the opinion, much less the care of any foreign M.D. or Dentist. Okey, I can see a scenario where this could happen: When the new HOMS opens up and they are rotating MDs from the Mayo, Cleveland, Jackson Memorial, Mt. Sinai and Sloan-Kettering facoilities through the different programs. But only like that.

Go figure. If they (foreign medical personnel) could not make it in their home countries, why should they come here? None of them are anything special. You certtainly can't read what their "Certificates" have to say...Okey, they can speak your native language, as something special.

Ah, you say, what about Dominican M.D.s that go to the United States? Curiously, they have to pass a whole battery of tests, then pass the local boards and serve their Residencies. THEN they can practice-this goes for both MDs and DDSs...

Would you like to be treated by a Cuban who did Med School in 18 months so he could be shipped to Angola to sew up Cuban Expeditionary troops and poor locals caught up in the war?
Or, MY GOD!! A Russian Dentist?? The laughing stock of European dentistry!!???.

Sorry gospodin you will never practice here unless you are re-certified in a local university and do your training here.

HB
bandit.gif

Last edited:

Macoris

Apr 17, 2002
Russian Dentist

With due respect Hillbilly, I take issue with your comment about Russian Dentists. It is not because the association f Canadian Dentists who does not allow any foreign graduate to practice in Canada (because they are protecting their jobs) that someone is incompetent by the mere fact that he is trained in a foreign country. Matter of fact, knowing the russian training, I will go without hesitation to a Russian Dentist and that even before going to an American one where they are purchasing their diploma. Money buys everything in the USA.

Mr. Dentist from Russia, you should seek certification in the DR from the appropriate authority and set up a practice there. There is definitely a need for good dentist. Even more, there is even an american market where american will go to you in order to save a buck or two instead to be treated in the USA where dental treatments are prohibitive.

Goodluck.

P.S.: If the Dominican Republic does not give you right of practice, explore other countries such as Haiti, Nicaragua, Panama or Costa Rica. Who might be luckier there.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Boy oh boy.... do you need to learn a few things

Money will not buy a License to Practice Dentistry. At least not in any of the major markets like Califorinia or New York. Perhaps in Arkansas or Mississippi or Montana, but I doubt it.

They have these nasty things called Boards, Certification Boards, that must be passed in order to practice. No amount of money can get you a pass grade on those. Do you have any idea of the costs of malpractice insurance these days? Over 5 billion dollars in premiums have to be paid, just for insurance!

Unless you are blind or stupid, just take a look at any Russians teeth. They are famous for poor work-due in part to the lack of modern techniques, and in part because the "system" did not really stimulate advances in a field not considered to be of a national priority.

Americans do pay a lot for dental care, but a lot of what they have to pay is covered by health insurance, too. They also have a fanatic interest in good teeth and good appearence.
The Dominican Republic, right now, offers excellent dental care, no ifs ands or buts. You might have to look around a bit', but you can find excellent dentists. And the prices are reasonable.
FYI, the DR is sending dentists to Spain to teach the Spanish modern techniques. The universities here are receiving dozens of medical personnel to be trained as dentists for Spain.

Many people do not know that there is an extremely close relationship between the WHO and the PanAmHO, especially in regards to medicine and dentistry...And between DR universities and universities in the States in these two fields......

And, to the point, there is no need for a Russian Dentist to come and practice here.....Sorry, for that....

Now if he were an expert in mining, agriculture or manufacturing perhaps he could find work...

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Don't be too hard on Macoris. Maybe he prefers false teeth made of metal.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Russian Dentist

Macoris said:
With due respect Hillbilly, I take issue with your comment about Russian Dentists. It is not because the association f Canadian Dentists who does not allow any foreign graduate to practice in Canada (because they are protecting their jobs) that someone is incompetent by the mere fact that he is trained in a foreign country. Matter of fact, knowing the russian training, I will go without hesitation to a Russian Dentist and that even before going to an American one where they are purchasing their diploma. Money buys everything in the USA.

With all due respect, your post is completely factless, stupid and you're a idiot that doesn't have the brains you were born with.

Regards
Escott

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You must be getting old, jazzcom. You don't usually pull your punches.

CES

Jan 1, 2002
Dr. Zeev

In my area of N. California there are something like 80,000 Russian emigrants (I think the majority are Ukrainian). This community is in dire need of good dental care if you should want to investigate the possibilities

regards,

. . . CES

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry that this got so acrimonious

However, the DR has been invaded by a series of foreign, non-certified medical personnel. Most are Cubans. So we don't need more problems....

In a country where there is little or no civil responsibilities beyond public outcry and lynching, this situation is dangerous and should not be condoned.

The Fernandez government wwere the ones bringing in the Cubans, but there has been a lax attitude for decades. And the Dominican society will tolerate quacks, called curanderos to the Nth degree.

HB

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I thought that Zeev didn't get the respect he should have received when he simply asked a question.

I thought that Marcoris should have gotten the respect you would give Macoroni. Chew him up and s#it him out. That was about the most stupid post I have ever seen.

No need to hide behind that couch. Guess you just figured out the posting of graphics Ken? LOL

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, jazzcom, I just discovered the program that HB has been using for months and am having fun trying it out.

bigcrowd.gif

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I'll Trade You Some Wooden Teeth for the Name of the Program

Signed

George Washington

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Yeah, jazzcom, I just discovered the program that HB has been using for months and am having fun trying it out.

I'm so off-topic here, it's *crazy*. But I wondered about the official stance on the smileys/animations. Personally, I only like the rude or violent ones. Are there any bandwidth considerations for smileys?

O/T: My friend is a dentist.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
GW, I don't want your teeth (I have this Russian dentist that makes mine of metal, if they don't rust out in my mouth, they should last a lifetime), but if you really want the name of the program, send me an email or PM.

Shake%20Hands%20Nah.gif

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a limit

I found out that there is a limit on the amount of smilies that you can post when I tried to put up 12 of these:
bandit.gif

I was trying to make up a jury of my peers...

Let me know the site name , too, please since I am always looking for new stuff..

Great tutorial here:http://www.wackyb.co.nz

flamethrower.gif

You mean like this?

Or this?
argue1.gif

Love and peace to all

HB
OnTheCan.gif